CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC flame/plasma cutter

Posted by Ted
on 1999-06-24 15:49:15 UTC
rtr@... Ted Robbins

I've been trying to avoid writing this piece because I thought it would
just muddy the water, but there seems to be enough interest in the problems
of long, 5 to 20 thousandths accuracy drives to warrant this input. Flame
cutters, foam cutters, and wood routers are probably in this catagory.
Those who need more accuracy should avoid the method suggested here.

The Automotive industry often needs long positioning systems which get
their final positioning from the workpiece, ie; the engine or body. They
only need the positioning system to get them within this range of 5 to 20
thousandths. Typically, they use a bicycle chain for the relatively short,
lightweight positioning chores, and bigger chains built like bicycle chains
when more distance and force, but less accuracy is required.

The chain is anchored solidly at the start end and retained with a
tensioning device at the other end. Depending on forces, sometimes it is
used as a flat track for a single sprocket. Sometimes it has idler
sprockets on each side with the chain wrapped around it. this chain is not
used to guide the axis. A rail or another method must provide that
function.

Rack and pinion systems are normally installed with the rack teeth facing
down to minimize debris problems. That way only the pinion needs careful
debris shielding. When you must mount the rack with the teeth up, you must
shield the whole rack.

When the rack has only an encoder riding on it, I always use a reed
transfer device to hold the encoder. This protects the rack from excessive
shock, but it won't work to apply power through such a device.

When we developed this reed transfer device for rack driven encoders back
in '06, I mean 1966, we also developed covered racks which used spring
steel covers which rode in slots on the front of the reed transfer plate.
We rolled up Sandvic spring steel, put it in a pipe nipple, screwed caps on
the pipe to limit oxygen, and heat treated it in a small ceramic baking
oven.

We welded up boxes for the end of the rack holders for the spring steel
rack covers to wind themselves up in. They lasted a long time in machine
shop environments.

I am submitting this information now becaus it is relevant to the string in
question, but it will also be relevant to the DRO string which should be
starting when the boards for your new DRO's get in.