CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 4th axis rotary with a 3 axis control

on 2000-09-06 17:44:23 UTC
Fred,

Ballendo wrote:
>Alan, any reasonably current MaxNC DOES have G41,G42. Practice "air
>cutting" before you rely on it, tho. Also, the blue insulation board
>sold at Home Depot works well for this type of "proofing" parts while
>learning. Dust is not TOO bad. Thanks to RON at Flashcut for this.

I found some white insulation board to "practice" on in the office; and
I've generated CNC code with "Contour Tooling" of the Eccentric Follower
part. I've gotten Qsim (from Vector) running now, and I can "simulate"
cutting my part. Fascinating! I tried the trick of using a smaller end
mill, but it would appear that the cutter still cuts on both sides!
Isn't that something I want to avoid? Especially on a finish cut?

I think I need to initially turn off cutter comp. (until I check out
MAXNC PRO). Will the teardrop's still work? I deleted the G41 & G42's,
so I could view it with FlashCut. On to the styrofoam!

Alan

Fred Smith wrote:
> The teardrop approach and depart form is very useful for enabling cutter comp.
>
> Most industrial controllers require an initial straight move at least as long as the cutter radius, some as long as the diameter. This line is a G01 only, arcs are NOT allowed and usually the G41 or G42 is on the same line (except A-B which as in most things is messed up)
>
> The tear drop shape starts with the straight line then has a tangent arc to the first entity of the contour to be cut. As the cutter traverses the first line of the cut it moves from on center to beside the line, the controller then processes the geometry of the cut so that the material remaining after the cut is the desired size, rather than the center of the cutter plus the radius. As the cutter finishes the contour, it moves can overlap the starting cut and then arc away in another tangent arc, followed by the final straight line during which Cutter comp is cancelled with a G40.
>
> Vector can draw these teardrop approaches and departs on the inside or outside of any closed shape, with a settable amount of overlap. It can also create approaches and departs between a point and a line or arc, and can make them go to the center by breaking the line or go to each end. By naming the contour with the A/D as G41 or G42 , you can cause it to automatically generate the G41/42 on the first line and the G40 on the last line.
>
> The most often asked question about cutter comp (after how) is why. If you look at a program that is written with cutter comp, all the coordinate values are the finished part sizes. There is no need to offset for tool radius. It makes it very easy to read the program and understand what is happening. it also makes it much easier to manually write or adjust a program. The biggest advantage is that with one constraint, you can use any size tool that you want in the program and it will make the part correctly. You just have to be sure to change the tool radius or diameter offset value to be the same as the tool you use. When you do this you have an opportunity to actually "Tune" the size that will be cut. For example if your 1/4 inch cutter runs out a little and actually cuts .001 oversize, you could tell the controller that the tool was .251 and the controller would move the tool as if it were .251, resulting in a cut EXACTLY to size. If your cutter gets dull and star!
ts to
> cut undersize, you tell the c

Fred, we lost some text here... saw it before on one of your messages,
too.

> The caveat of cutter comp is that you CANNOT cut an internal corner that has a radius that is smaller than your cutter. This is not allowed and on poorly designed controls results in nicked corners, and on most, results in a program interrupt with a cryptic message: #109-CRC error (translated, you can't use Cutter Radius Comp to cut a square internal corner)

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-05 13:48:00 UTC Re:4th axis rotary with a 3 axis control Fred Smith 2000-09-06 17:08:46 UTC Re: 4th axis rotary with a 3 axis control Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-06 17:44:23 UTC Re: 4th axis rotary with a 3 axis control Ray 2000-09-06 20:02:26 UTC Re: Re:4th axis rotary with a 3 axis control Fred Smith 2000-09-07 04:34:45 UTC Re: 4th axis rotary with a 3 axis control