CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: fonts

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-09-11 17:01:34 UTC
Alistair,

No pardon necessary, it is the opinions and experience of ALL of us
that makes this list go. Thank you for your input.

Ballendo

Alistair Ward wrote:
>PMFJI, but I thought I should make some comments about PostScript
>fonts.
>First, to quote from "PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook" by
>Adobe Systems, published Addison-Wesley:
>"5.2 Printing Variety
>Point Sizes
>The fact that PostScript internally descibes its fonts as shape
>descriptions allows the fonts to be scaled while retaining fidelity
>at large sizes."
>and
>"9.4 Character Outlines
>Each font dictionary contains descriptions of the shapes of its
>characters.
>Most fonts describe their characters as outlines that are filled
>when the character is printed. Other fonts describe characters as
>lines to be stroked or as bit maps."

>From practical experience I can say it is quite possible to extract
>font outline from PostScript fonts. Many years ago (at University) I
>wrote a small parser that extracted font outlines from BitStream
>PostScript fonts for input into a ray-tracing program, so I could
>include 3D text into images.<snip>

Discussion Thread

dave engvall 2000-09-10 08:25:56 UTC fonts ballendo@y... 2000-09-10 23:51:36 UTC Re: fonts ballendo@y... 2000-09-11 16:46:15 UTC Re: Re: fonts ballendo@y... 2000-09-11 17:01:34 UTC Re: fonts ballendo@y... 2000-09-12 23:59:31 UTC Re: RE:fonts