CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-10-10 17:52:41 UTC
Fred Smith wrote:
>The choice of controller software is actually a minor detail once it
>is running.

I guess this proves the adage,"If your only tool is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail" rewritten to " If Vector is your
preferred CAD/CAM pkg, then everything else is a VECTOR accessory!!"

Having said that, Fred makes some very good points, epecially in
light of the new members who may be devouring the recent opinions
expressed re: software choices. I agree with Fred's statments(re-
posted below, CAPS EMPHASIS added by me)

>They nearly all understand G-code. Few can handle DXF or HPGL with
>any real finesse. Windows doesn't CURRENTLY buy you any advantage
>in a CONTROLLER. What are you after, a pretty computer, or a system
>that makes the part correctly and quickly?

>The REAL analysis, as anyone that has made a part will tell you is
>not to be done from a computer and with remote observations, but
>from the ACTUAL PARTS produced.

I have USED nearly ALL of the controls mentioned on this list. I have
mentioned before, the HUGE differences apparent when USING! different
controllers WITH THE SAME HARDWARE!! You'll NEVER get this from
watching the backplot of a file on a screen! Some of the programs
that LOOK the BEST, PERFORM the worst.

I DO still look at things like poor spelling of menu items and
parameters as indicators of overall quality, however. If ya can't
catch the obvious bugs, what about ...
(Especially when it's been pointed out and STILL doesn't change.)

And I have also mentioned that I'd rather have a good company/person
behind a poor program than the other way 'round.

>As far as the recent evaluation of "free" software on the internet,
>I was surprised that Ability System's Indexer LPT for Windows was
>not mentioned. They have a direct HPGL read and I believe I heard
>that they have a nice lookahead in their Windows version too. I
>can't vouch for the program, but I know many people have used it for
>many years.Best Regards,
>Fred Smith- IMService

Me too, Fred. I was really looking forward to this "saga". I have to
say I was really disappointed. He DID say it was HIS NEEDS/DESIRES
and gave copious quantities of disclaimers, but many without
experience will read this and think, "There's my answer!" To them I
would say(again) Define YOUR NEEDS. THEN,and only then,define your
WANTS. Now, go find as many of 'em as you can! (We're here to help if
ya get stuck.)

Ballendo (ranting)

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-10-10 17:52:41 UTC Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions Tom Caudle 2000-10-10 19:29:50 UTC Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions ballendo@y... 2000-10-10 20:44:09 UTC Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions Tom Caudle 2000-10-11 07:36:44 UTC Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions: again? ballendo@y... 2000-10-11 20:18:29 UTC Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions: again? ballendo@y... 2000-10-11 20:40:30 UTC Re: Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions: again? Matt Shaver 2000-10-12 20:29:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and... opinions: again?