CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't.

Posted by Tom Caudle
on 2000-10-11 07:51:42 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ron Ginger <ginger@s...> wrote:
> I was going to make a post here about my Moglice expierence, but
thought
> Id wait until I had a success to report.
>
> First, I am not using Moglice, rather the Philadelphia Resins brand
of
> similar goo. I am convinced theirs is simply graphite mixed into the
> epoxy, and a friend has a sample of it he is trying to analyze for
me. I
> intend to get some real Moglice.
>
> I tried to make new nuts to run on the existing Grizzley screws. I
> figured since they were brand new, they will have no wear. I built
up
> new brackets with a hole for the casting, and a simple turned
fixture
> to hold the screw and nut in position to cure. I used the Release
Spray
> sold by PR.

Hey Ron:

Just an idea. You might try a wrap of teflon pipe tape first to
create some clearance. IF you can get the nut off then the tape can
be removed to provide the space. The only other thing I can think of
is to put in something that you could melt out after the casting
cures but at this point I don't know what it would be.

> After an overnight cure I tried to unscrew the parts. One was stuck
very
> hard, and while trying to unscrew it (get a bigger wrench) I broke
the
> epoxy loose from the inside of the nut body. I was then able to
slice
> through the epoxy with a dremel cutoff wheel and free the epoxy. It
was
> NOT stuck to the screw, it unwound nicely once I relieved the
tension of
> the cast. I assmue the release agent worked as planned to prevent
> bonding, and I simply had to little clearance.
>
> The second one unscrewed with some resistance. I then tried to
screw it
> back on and it would only make 4 or 5 tunrs and bound up. I tried
the
> 'more force' approach and again broke the epoxy loose from the nut
body.

> Clearly I did not have enough clearance. I did spray on several
coats of
> the release agent, I was very worried that it would bond to the
screw. I
> mayhave made the nut body to long- It was about 1.4" long, so for a
> 16tpi thread I had over 20 threads in contact. I suspect a shorted
nut
> would be fine, but the way I decided to fixture it just worked out
that
> long. When I do it again I may use more putty as a dam and shorten
the
> screw length.
>
> I also intend to change to some 1/2-10 acme rod instead of the 5/8-
16
> that came withthe Grizzley.
>
> Ill let you all know when/if I get this to work.
>
> ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-10-11 07:01:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Tom Caudle 2000-10-11 07:51:42 UTC Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't.