CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry

on 2000-10-14 23:10:50 UTC
Hugh

For the $6000.00 that they charge for the MI4848 I think you could do better
by building your own. See http://www.campbelldesigns.com/ for an idea of what
can be done with 80/20, or some other brand, extruded aluminum. While the router
in the photo is smaller, scaling it up would not be a problem. Order the pieces of
aluminum you need as well as the brackets, bolts etc. and it will show up on your
door in a few days all cut to the exact size, threaded where you need it, and with
all parts to simply bolt the frame together. Add either round shaft or THK type
linear guides and you're almost done. Stepper or servo drives from Gecko and some
motors and screws and you are done. I built one like that, although much smaller
because I got a good deal on THK linear rails and blocks. (I made my router to
fit my linear rails). Very little needs to be done at a machine shop, maybe some
leadscrew support brackets although even they could be bought new.

I think that with all new parts you could build a router of the same size and
quality as the Liberty for less than 1/2 the price. If you scrounge ebay and
other places on the web for the expensive stuff like the linear rails or lead screws
you can save even more. The only problem with that approach is you need
to do as I did and build the router to fit your parts.

I have only seen the Liberty router from the one picture on the website so I
can't judge the quality, but the 80/20 3" X 3" extrusion looks to be as heavy
duty as what they used. I plan on filling the extrusions on mine with some
type of concrete/morter to increase the density of it even more.

If the software is step and direction, then yes, it will work with
standard hardware.

The best part of all is that it's as much fun to build it as it is to use it. Plus
you will know more about that router than a store bought one, and will
know how to make it better when and if you need to.

Bill

Discussion Thread

Hugh Mahlendorf 2000-10-14 20:59:00 UTC Quandry Tim Goldstein 2000-10-14 21:25:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry JanRwl@A... 2000-10-14 21:50:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry dkmachine@a... 2000-10-14 22:15:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Hugh Mahlendorf 2000-10-14 22:32:02 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Tim Goldstein 2000-10-14 22:57:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry William Scalione 2000-10-14 23:10:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Hugh Mahlendorf 2000-10-14 23:44:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Hugh Mahlendorf 2000-10-15 00:06:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry ballendo@y... 2000-10-15 00:15:30 UTC re:RE: Quandry Hugh Mahlendorf 2000-10-15 00:57:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:RE: Quandry Hugh Mahlendorf 2000-10-15 01:07:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry ballendo@y... 2000-10-15 01:35:57 UTC Re: re:RE: Quandry ptengin@a... 2000-10-15 03:34:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Tim Goldstein 2000-10-15 07:17:33 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-15 10:44:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry Jon Anderson 2000-10-15 10:47:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry bfp 2000-10-15 13:51:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quandry