CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

EMC & 2nd parallel port

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-04 00:14:39 UTC
I am trying to get EMC to drive various pins on the parallel port high or
low to be able to switch on mist coolant and the power supply to my stepper
controller. In talking with Fred Proctor he told me that I need to use LPT2
so I have set up a 2nd parallel port as 0x278. I have done all the things
outlined in the message from Fred that follows and when I use the testppt
utility I can toggle the 2nd port just fine. I have added the following to
my run script for EMC:
# run shvio in background
echo "spawning shvio..."
plat/linux_2_0_36/bin/shvio -ini mylathe.ini &
sleep 5
echo "...done"

Along with the corresponding piece in the exit section. My
PARPORT_IO_ADDRESS in the run file is 0x378 and in the ini file it is 0x278.

Here is what happens: the pin starts low, when I start EMC the pin for mist
now goes high, but toggling the mist in EMC does not get it to go low. If I
remove the lines starting shvio the pin starts low, stays low and can not be
toggled.

What am I missing?

Tim
[Denver, CO]

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 1999-07-04 00:14:39 UTC EMC & 2nd parallel port