CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software

on 2000-10-18 13:11:52 UTC
Hi Dennis and the list,

Dennis Bohlke wrote:

> > Check out the PIC's, they will surprise you! VERY compact for small
> > applications that need a bit of code, a bit of memory, I/O and even
> > A/D's!
> I've heard that alot lately. I think there is some really fantanstic things
> that can
> be done with them. I kind a regret that it is off course of the mission to
> spend time on
> delving into them. My sense of economics keeps me coming back to using the
> common desktop as a real time controller, I know how ergo I do.

Also consider using a 'C' compiler (OK, BASIC too) to write code for
PIC's or the 8051. You can always code .ASM where needed.

>...snip

> There are DONUTS in AutoCad and any polyline can have a starting and
> ending width. After a few hundred hours of doing it, it gets easier and
> is merily difficult.

<ramble on>
I haven't ran across the Donuts. I'm thinking of possibly importing
"traces and pads" using Vector's PLC (Point, Line Circle) language.
Just thinking, a "stick figure" drawn in CAD, .DXF exported, file
"edited" by a program could generate real traces and pads, etc. That
could be imported back in. A little similar to a "net list", but XY
coordinate data that would represent the routing. I'll have to see if
Vector can EXPORT PLC's as well.
<ramble off>

> Circuit layout can be a tough act but if you can work with out physical
> constraints the magnitude of difficulty can be greatly reduced. The great
> thing
> about the being the inventor is that you get to decide just how big the darn
> board is going to be anyway, board size becomes a matter finese and cost.
> I generally expect to pay between .50 and .60 per per square inch of circuit
> board.

The older I get, the bigger I make the boards!

> > I suppose all I'd have to do is use bigger darlington's, and a similar
> > design. Even though the CY545's can do 4-phase, I have other hardware
> > that expects step/dir, or cw/ccw. A simple darlington design would
> > probably still be L/R, and not a chopper. Although not needed for
> > Sherline, the higher power of bipolar drives could be useful elsewhere.
> Consider HEXFET's as switches. They are far more efficient than
> darlington's,
> IFR540's have a much lower turn on resistance. There are HEXFET's now that
> work with a 5 volt gate voltage.

Yes, IFR540's shouldn't be that hard to drive, now that I think about
it, I have a circuit, the IFR540 (?) was used to drive a DC motor, PWM
speed control!

> > I don't know about killer app, but I have some parts that are greatly
> > simplified if they are made on a rotary table. some crankshafts come to
> > mind, and of course gears. I have a need for some bevel gears for a
> > robotic "hand". I've built a hand (end effector) before, using nylon
> > gears, that had to be machined and assembled with timing belt pulleys.
> > And cutting cams/camshaft would be a breeze. Although some of that work
> > CAN be done with CNC. I have some ring designs that would be great to
> > engrave on the rotary table.
> Point taken. I'll keep thinking on it.

I'm just working out a Flywheel for my steam engine project. Rudy's
"Shop Wisdom" books show the project made on a homemade indexer. I'm
also finding that I can work on parts that are a little bigger if I use
the rotary table. Now to figure out how to get any "Y" travel with the
tilting angle table mounded. I have an old Craftsman Sears/Sherline
mill, and the "Y" travel is shorter. Houston, we have a problem! Maybe
I'll trade in my mill on the current Sherline mill!

Alan Running out of money, waiting for Christmas!

> > Movies? I'll have to look for that!
> You will find them at:
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/movies/default.asp

Found the movies, good addition to your site.

>...snip

Discussion Thread

Dennis Bohlke 2000-10-16 13:02:57 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-16 13:55:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software Dennis Bohlke 2000-10-17 07:14:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-17 14:03:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software Dennis Bohlke 2000-10-17 22:22:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-18 13:11:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software Fred Smith 2000-10-18 19:32:45 UTC Re: SuperCam & PCB Trace Milling Software