CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: old sherline Y travel

on 2000-10-18 18:11:52 UTC
Ballendo,

ballendo@... wrote:
>... snip
> >I have a 1" x 3" x .25" piece of stock, and I need to cut a bevel on
> >the long side. Actually two bevels that intersect to form a right
> >angle. This is a "foot" that supports a "leg" up at a 70deg
> >angle. Put two of 'em together, and you get the bottom half of the
> >letter "A".
>
> The length of your angle cut is 3 inches?

Yes, two cuts run the length on one side edge.

> Don't forget you can add "table size" with a piece of alum, say .500
> x 6 x 9, and now you can mount the "tilt table" on this piece where
> only air was there before.(off the sherline table, so to speak)

That might let me swing the tile table around! Must clear the Y motor.

> <snip> I can then turn the rim and hub faces, bore it .375", and cut
> >back from the rim to face the spokes (at least I think 4.5" will
> >swing on the lathe).
>
> You could also "mill" this on the CNC sherline, if your lathe won't
> swing it. Set up with a pivot on the "extension table" above, and
> mill "hextants", including the rim and outline! Without the rotary
> table! Just use circ interp. Spin it in a drill press to polish out
> the "mill" marks and ADD "lathe" marks <G> and no one will know it
> wasn't done on a lathe.

Circular interpolation would be fine, if I could swing all the way
around the part! 2 or 3" throat/travel is quite limiting! Oh for a 2X
Sherline Mill! Thought about the EMCO FB-2, that would REALLY kill my
budget! And a Myford-7 and a...

I thought about milling the entire part, certainly could. Partly to
test theory of bolting larger stock to lathe spindle. And after boring
the .375" hole, might be a little better balance to flywheel?

> ... snip

Keep those chips flying!

Alan

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-18 18:11:52 UTC Re: old sherline Y travel ptengin@a... 2000-10-18 20:37:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: old sherline Y travel ballendo@y... 2000-10-18 21:45:20 UTC re:Re: old sherline Y travel Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-18 22:27:17 UTC Re: old sherline Y travel Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-18 23:35:19 UTC Re: old sherline Y travel Tony Jeffree 2000-10-19 01:09:56 UTC Re: old sherline Y travel Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-19 17:57:09 UTC Re: old sherline Y travel