CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: The Best CNC Value?

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-11 12:46:42 UTC
Kirk,

Little confused on what machine you are thinking about. The Shoptask is one
machine and the Granite is a different machine by Smithy.

If you are thinking of the Shoptask it is my understanding there is a sale
on it currently. Here is a post JT (Owner of the Shoptask company) made on
the Shoptask forum hosted on Delphi on July 2:

We sell the lathe only for 1295.00, but right now you can buy the complete
unit for the same price- just swing the head out of the way.
jt

Here is my recommendation
Shoptask - $1300.00
Camtronic 5 amp controller kit - $225.00
Misc. to get kit built and connected to the machine (power supply, wire,
case, etc.) $150.00
3 350 - 500 in/oz steppers - $250 - $400
Controller software EMC, DeskNC, CNC Pro - Free - $100
Vector 7.0 Cad Cam program - $795
Tooling - $2000

Gets you a decent machine and the tooling you will require with a great CAD
CAM program and fits in the stated budget.

Be aware though that any of the 3 in 1 machines have some limitations in the
mill function when compared to a real knee mill. I have no problems living
with it, but I do plan on getting a knee mill in the next year or so. The
Shoptask lathe is a very nice unit and I don't plan on having to replace
that over the years unless my project require larger capacity.

Tim
[Denver, CO]