CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: wire edm info ( was Safety/Reliability )

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-11-05 08:22:25 UTC
Thanks Terry,

There is some useful information here. The biggest problem I have with wire
EDM is understanding how the feedback circuits work and link into the CNC
part of the machine. In a sinker EDM excess current flow through the
electrode or shorting it to the work causes it to back out by simply
reversing the stepper or servo motor until the current falls between the set
limits again, however, in a wire EDM this has to happen in at least 2
dimensions (3 in a machine with a tilting head?). To do this, presumably,
the CNC part of the setup must have a way of remembering the exact cut
direction for the previous few steps so it can back away from the cut in
this same direction without the wire shorting onto the sides of the cut. I
don't think actually making the mechanics of a wire machine is a problem at
all but this sensing and feedack into the CNC is a real stumbling block and
so any insight you could give into this aspect would be a real help.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK