CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New guy needs advice!

Posted by Joe Vicars
on 2000-11-09 11:05:52 UTC
I don't think you will find any of the mini mills that will satisfy your requirement for stainless steel. I would be very
skeptical of anyone who says otherwise.
There are several workarounds though, so you might not have to invest in a full size machine right off. For instance, you could
machine wax, or an aluminum mold and have your turbine wheels cast (vacuum or investment)
IMHO, if you must machine stainless steel, don't even consider a miniature machine. Find a descent old vertical mill and
upgrade the controls or retrofit. If you have 3 phase and a big shop with easy access to move in a big machine, you will have no
trouble finding a good deal on the iron. A retro-fit or upgrade can cost 500 bucks on up, depending what you're starting with and
what you have on hand.
Most of the software you mentioned is CAD software. I have both Rhino and Solid edge and they are not timed, just limited
features. Solid Edge Origin is an extremely powerful modeling package and it is totally free. Assembly mode and Draft mode are
disabled, but you could for instance model your turbine wheel pretty easily. Rhino has a limited number of saves (25 I think).
Most CAM demos will let you do everything but post code, which doesn't do you any good. Your selection of a CAM package will be
very dependant on your needs and personal taste. I worked with a prototyping shop that used BobCAD/CAM exclusively and turned out
some very intricate work. XCAM, SurfCAM, Gibbs, MasterCAM, and those guys all cost several thousand dollars.
Good luck.