CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux exec_pagesize

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 1999-07-15 15:18:42 UTC
> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
> > From: Bob Bachman <bobach@...>
> >
> > Arne,
> >
> > Does the change in EXEC_PAGESIZE have to be done before compiling the
> > kernel or can
> > it be done after compiling?

In direct answer to Bob's question about the modification of
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/param.h: Yes, this needs changing before the
kernel is recompiled. Arne seems to be the only one with the EMC working on a
486 so I'd say his suggestion is definitely worth a try. Bob, I noticed you
got the EMC up on a Pentium (Yea!), have you abandoned the 486 yet? If not
this fix would be something to try. I'd like to know if it's successful.

> (now, looking at that 2nd thing to do that Arne notes below, maybe this
> is actually fixing a bug in the Linux include files, in that the Linux
install and
> kernel build procedure doesn't leave allowance for something in the
> include files needing to be changed dynamically at boot time.
> Hmmm, some meat for Linus himself to chew on!

I know that there are active discussions between the RTlinux group and Linus
regarding incorporating RT into the kernel in the 2.3 development version and
eventually the 2.4 stable release. This would mean an end to the kernel patch
procedure as RT support would be another choice you could make when you did
'make config' or 'make xconfig'.

> > >I used a 486, and I recall that someone said they wanted
> > >to set up a 486 in their workshop. There is some files that needs
> > >to be modified to get it working with the RT kernel, because it uses
> > >shared memory a little differently:
> > >- in lilo.conf : append="mem=xxx" - set aside less than 1M
> > >- in /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/param.h - change #define
> > >EXEC_PAGESIZE 4096 to
> > >
> > >#define EXEC_PAGESIZE 1024
> > >- then the good guys at NIST has done corrections in the
> > >emc-06-Jul-1999.tgz

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 1999-07-15 15:10:51 UTC Re: Linux exec_pagesize Matt Shaver 1999-07-15 15:18:42 UTC Re: Linux exec_pagesize Bob Bachman 1999-07-15 18:38:29 UTC Re: Linux exec_pagesize Tim Goldstein 1999-07-15 22:37:43 UTC RE: Linux exec_pagesize