CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] thomson shafts was Re: Cnc Project-- combo router- plasma cutter

Posted by Doug Harrison
From: <dougrasmussen@...>

> I suggest being up front with the distributor. Throw yourself at
> their mercy. Personally, I'd be more likely to give a small customer
> a break if I know exactly where they're coming from.

I think it works both ways. Sales oriented people tend to be cold,
calculating and sometimes downright dishonest. I can't think of anyone more
disgusting than some of the machine tool reps I've met. Shop owners and
hands-on types tend to be easier to be straight with. As you say, we prefer
an honest approach.

We tried several approaches in our early days to get good prices and
service. Most of them didn't work. Here are some that do:

1. Don't call your business a machine shop if you operate out of your home.
The country is full of ex-machinists, incompetent machinists, unemployed
machinists and wannabe machinists with old machines in their garage. They
all claim to have machine shops but vendors see right through it. Some home
shops are legitimate but they get the same rap.

Call yourself a design consultant who specializes in building prototypes and
you will have better luck. Mechanical contractor also sounds good. Be
careful about calling yourself an engineer though. That one is also
overused, and if you are not an engineer you will incurr the indignation of
those who are. Even some engineers tend to avoid using the title because of
its record of misuse.

Most consultants operate out of their home, as do some of the best
mechanical contractors. Don't be afraid to admit it but be careful about
hiding it.

2. If you use your home phone for your business you can sound more
business-like by stating your name instead of saying hello when you answer.
This is the standard for office communication. It also impresses your
mother when she calls. A cell phone works even better because they usually
have good voice mail systems that sound "industrial."

3. Don't get too glamorous with the business cards and stationary. That's
a dead give-away. Conservative graphics indicate a conservative business.

4. Get at least one contract with a big name corporation if you can. From
then on you can say you are working on a project for so-and-so if you feel
the need to drop names.

5. Don't expect much from local industrial suppliers. These are notorious
for bad service. There are exceptions, but most will not give you the time
of day if they don't already know you. One exception is when they know you
are contracting to a major corporation they are trying to get an account
with. They will suck up to you like car salesmen. I got a good price on a
welder once this way.

Look for national suppliers, such as McMaster, Tool Crib, Automation Direct
and MSC. You can get nearly everything you need with a phone and credit
card these days.

Doug

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-11-18 00:31:14 UTC re: thomson shafts was Re: Cnc Project-- combo router- plasma cutter Greg Nuspel 2000-11-18 03:25:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: thomson shafts was Re: Cnc Project-- combo router- plasma cutter dougrasmussen@c... 2000-11-18 08:33:35 UTC thomson shafts was Re: Cnc Project-- combo router- plasma cutter Doug Harrison 2000-11-18 08:58:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: thomson shafts was Re: Cnc Project-- combo router- plasma cutter Doug Harrison 2000-11-18 10:23:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] thomson shafts was Re: Cnc Project-- combo router- plasma cutter