CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re: CNC keybd usage

on 2000-11-24 18:35:58 UTC
Hi Ballendo an the list,

ballendo@... wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Thank you for the details.
>
> Two thoughts.
>
> 1) Expression evaluation is a GREAT feature! To really do it right,
> takes a lot of code/thought! Fortunately, EMC source is FREE! And Tom
> wrote the "expression evaluation" engine in a "stand-alone module"
> way! It's in the 274NGC source.

Yeah, it takes some work! I've got one I wrote probably seven years
ago, but I'm open to new, well written code. I'll take a look at 274NGC
source.

> 2) mouse vs. keyboard? For INEXPERIENCED operators, the point and
> click will win nearly every time. For EXPERIENCED operators, the
> keyboard will win nearly every time. The most frustrating thing is
> requiring the operator to shift modes (keys, to mouse, back to keys;
> or mouse, press a key, back to mouse) back and forth arbitrarily. I'm
> sure most of us have experienced this with some "late model" software!
> 2a)inexperienced or experienced with respect to THIS particular app!

Mouse? I might allow a mouse. Probably expected for PC's. Mice are
fine for "selecting" or drawing in CAD, but for simple menus, and
numeric input, not really needed IMO. I DO like "shortcut" keys, to
speed one through a menu.

> The implementation of a full cnc program in 20 keys will
> REQUIRE "chording" or "softkeys"(function keys, scrollable list, etc.)

20 keys would be for the hand held, not the PC's full implementation!
Although I still want to make a pendant for jogging in CNC programs.

> If I were you, I'd focus on the PC first, with an "eye" to how what
> you're doing will "condense" later. That way, you can get it "out
> there" without special hardware costs and implementation; and learn
> what needs to be "fixed". THEN, implement the "Pendant"!

Development certainly IS easier on a PC. Hardware costs are minimal for
the hand held, I have most of it. the Hand held ('386 'Elan) has a
PCMCIA interface and runs DOS, so it's development is fairly easy also!
I also have code and a parallel port interface for a 2 or 4 line LCD
display. Allows me to work on the PC, and develop the LCD's interface.

A PIC version WOULD require some additional development and effort. The
'C' compiler I have for PIC's does not support floating point! Ouch!
That would take some thought.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo

Discussion Thread