CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC keybd usage

Posted by r_fl_z@h...
on 2000-11-24 15:35:19 UTC
I am implementing a touch screen interface for my machine, using EMC
if I can ever get it to install. The TS will cost about $200. Mine
will go on a flat panel, but it's compatible with CRTs as well. Email
me if interested in the details/source.

Ron

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Thank you for the details.
>
> Two thoughts.
>
> 1) Expression evaluation is a GREAT feature! To really do it right,
> takes a lot of code/thought! Fortunately, EMC source is FREE! And
Tom
> wrote the "expression evaluation" engine in a "stand-alone module"
> way! It's in the 274NGC source.
>
> 2) mouse vs. keyboard? For INEXPERIENCED operators, the point and
> click will win nearly every time. For EXPERIENCED operators, the
> keyboard will win nearly every time. The most frustrating thing is
> requiring the operator to shift modes (keys, to mouse, back to
keys;
> or mouse, press a key, back to mouse) back and forth arbitrarily.
I'm
> sure most of us have experienced this with some "late model"
software!
> 2a)inexperienced or experienced with respect to THIS particular app!
>
> The implementation of a full cnc program in 20 keys will
> REQUIRE "chording" or "softkeys"(function keys, scrollable list,
etc.)

> If I were you, I'd focus on the PC first, with an "eye" to how what
> you're doing will "condense" later. That way, you can get it "out
> there" without special hardware costs and implementation; and learn
> what needs to be "fixed". THEN, implement the "Pendant"!
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-11-24 14:08:52 UTC re: CNC keybd usage r_fl_z@h... 2000-11-24 15:35:19 UTC Re: CNC keybd usage Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-11-24 18:35:58 UTC re: CNC keybd usage