CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bigger then a Sherline WAS: wrong guy, but have servo question.

Posted by Smoke
on 2000-11-28 13:37:42 UTC
Only "picture that's available at present is one I created using 3D CAD.
It's posted at the Lathe 2000 site but is now out of date due to changes I
made. Since I just started designing these machines only a few weeks ago,
it will be quite a while before anything is actually built that I can take a
picture of. One of the others might get an "original" built before I do!

I will soon be posting a message at the L2K site that all the info
pertaining to all these machine will be placed at a new egroups sit eI just
created called "DreamMachine". I've done this because I think what I'm
doing has gone way beyond the ideas of the Lathe2000 site.

Only other "construction" I've done was designing those huge transfer
machines, multi-spindle drill heads and a wire drawing machine way back when
I did this for a living...using pencil and paper instead of a computer.

zYes, the dimensions can be scaled down. that's why you'll find a note at
L2K regarding the available assembly drwaings sans dimensions.

Smoke
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 2:27 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bigger then a Sherline WAS: wrong guy, but
have servo question.

>Smoke,
>
>Yes, the kits sound good. A few castings can go a long way then. I'm
>interested in mills for now. Do you have a pix of some similar
>construction you have done? Can these dimensions be scaled down
>slightly if needed to fit "existing" (my junk box) ball screws?
>Possibly only the ways would need to be changed?
>
>I will check out Lathe2000. Please keep us posted!
>
>Alan KM6VV
>
>PS, D1-5?
>

>Smoke wrote:
>>
>> Attn. Alan, Ken and anyone else that's interested:
>>
>> I've got several machines designed now.
>>
>> One is a mult-axis (up to 12) machining center which can be built as a
lathe, vertical mill, horizontal mill, mill/drill, a multi-station machine
center or any combination thereof. I've posted plenty of messages at the
Lathe2000 egroups site about this one. It is built from standard
structural steel components, is "bolt together" construction and uses round
ways. A similar one will soon be available using "common castings" (same
casting used in multiple places) but uses box (rectangular) way
construction.

>> For those that would prefer either a lathe or a mill as stand alone
machines, I've designed the mill this morning. The X Y Z travels are appx.
26" x 9" x 14". It is built from five major castings. I'll work out a
similar machine for the stand alone lathe.

>> These machines all use the SAME spindle assembly. Spindle nose can be
just about whatever you want. The "standard nose is a D1-5.

>> These machines are NOT lightweight but, since they are all "bolt
together" construction, moving them is a matter of taking the machine apart,
moving it, and re-assembling. I usually have to do that with my Emco Lathe.

>> I'm already in the process of getting quotes for castings, and other
parts. I hope to make all these machines available as "kits". That's about
the cheapest way your going to get any kind of machine unless you build all
the parts yourself. At present, I have NO price figures to give anyone.
All this does take time to set up and get started....especially when I'm the
only one working on it.

>> Smoke

mentioned.."bigger than