CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Thanks to all, from the new guy!

smcleod007@... wrote:

> At over 4000 pounds and having a rigid head, it's not
> exactly what I was looking for but I just couldn't pass up a working
> CNC machine for a $1000.00 dollars.

You will NEVER regret getting a more rigid machine!

> It's also going to take some
> serious work to disassemble it to the point where I can get it
> through the doorway to my basement shop and then reassemble it.

Well, you'll have an opportunity to check for wear, corrosion, etc. when
you do this.

> better start eating my Wheaties this week. The controller for this
> machine is a "Centurion 4" built in 1982, which is no longer build or
> supported so I am now in the process of looking for a PC-based
> controller capable of driving heavy-duty servo motors. I'm open to
> any suggestions in this department. I would also like to know if you
> think any particular CAM software would work better on this machine.

You can't even begin to talk CAM until you know what control you
will use. There are 2 ways to go. Use a stepper-output control, and
the Gecko servo drive that takes stepper pulses and outputs power
to a servo motor, or use NIST's EMC, and a servo driver card. Since
you already have a bad servo amp, you may need to replace the
servo amps with something newer, unless you can fix the bad one.

smcleod007@u... 2000-12-05 13:50:16 UTC Thanks to all, from the new guy! Jon Elson 2000-12-05 15:03:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Thanks to all, from the new guy!