CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper motor

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2000-12-05 21:32:09 UTC
In a message dated 05-Dec-00 05:56:39 Central Standard Time,
Ian@... writes:

> Now here's a very basic question which just needs confirmation or otherwise.
> Am I right in assuming that, on a 6-wire stepper motor, the specified
> current of 1.4Amps per phase refers to the current in half a winding - from
> the centre tap to one end, and that, if you are running the motor in
> 'bipolar?' mode using just the 4 wires across the ends of the total
> windings, then this current setting should be halved (same voltage feeding
> into double the resistance).

Yes. But powering a stepper this way, through BOTH halves of each winding,
in the "bipolar" mode as you describe, means FOUR times the inductance, so
MUCH slower operation! An "eight wire", with things re-strung so you'd have
two pairs of parallel windings would run much faster (1/4 the inductance to
"quench" between steps).

Though po' white-trash, I decided long ago it is "cheaper" to pay for the
best choice of windings and drivers for whatever size, as, in the end, you
are much better off! Back in the days I tried to do things using "surplus"
or "reconstituted" or "cheap", I ended up spending more than I woulda, had I
gone "top of the line" from the outset.

Think on it. Maybe not "every time, for everyone", but MOSTA TIME, anyway!
Jan

Ian Wright 2000-12-05 03:55:28 UTC Stepper motor Jon Elson 2000-12-05 11:33:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper motor JanRwl@A... 2000-12-05 21:32:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper motor peterlou41 2004-03-20 22:26:40 UTC Stepper motor