CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GS-D200S

on 2000-12-12 11:44:04 UTC
Hi Greg,

This is the same module that Superior Electric is selling as a SD200. I
originally purchased two as "backups" for another stepper driver module
I was using in an R&D project (after blowing up one, and waiting 2
months for a replacement). Got through on the original module, so
didn't use them. I now have four, and am wiring the first one up
individually as a "single axis" step/dir driver for use on a Sherline
rotary table. the next three go together for a 3-axis driver.

My first objection, the power up/power down sequence is a real pain!
First logic power on, then 28v, THEN the enable. Reverse for power
off. How to simply do this? I have logic power (5v) on with computer
power, then a toggle switch turns on 28v (motor power), and then allow
the software to turn on the enable through a second toggle switch (and
probably a relay contact from 28v). I hope this is enough! Is there a
better way?

Second objection, it is made for PC board mount. I neatly milled (CNC!)
cutouts for the pins and holes for the mounting screws and "locator
pins", and bolted it down. Started to wire the pins, a little close
together to just solder wires on. Solution: cut pieces of PC board,
with pads, that I can solder over the pins, and attach wires to.

Third objection, Heat sink. Haven't really figured out how much is
needed. There are calculations, but I don't know the Thermalloy 6111 or
6177 they suggest. How big is it? I have a stack of heat sinks, so I'm
going to mill mounting holes in them and bold them on. Yes, there are
pretty fins on the case, but apparently not enough!

fourth objection, OK, warning about filtering the DC. Needs special ESR
cap? What's with that? I'll give it a nice fat cap, and a smaller
tantalum, it'll have to do. (that, and a 18v AC wall wart should be
plenty below the max rating.

Other then that, ought to be OK.

If you haven't bought them yet, I'd suggest CAMTRONICS driver boards.
If you need to replace a L297/298, at least you can. I have a FRIED $80
dollar driver module (the other type) on the shelf, if you can tell me
how to get into it and fix it!

Alan KM6VV
PS, Thanks for the URL, the .PDF is better then the manual I got with my
modules.

Greg Nuspel wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had experience with the GS-D200S bipolar stepper
> motor drive module http://www.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/2666.htm . I
> was wondering if this unit is worth while using. Since it has everything in
> one package and looks to be well protected from shorts etc.
>
> -- Greg Nuspel

Discussion Thread

Greg Nuspel 2000-12-12 06:45:49 UTC GS-D200S Dan Mauch 2000-12-12 07:53:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GS-D200S Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-12-12 11:44:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GS-D200S Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-12-12 11:56:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GS-D200S Greg Nuspel 2000-12-12 12:31:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GS-D200S Dan Mauch 2000-12-12 13:28:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GS-D200S