CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Servo Motor

on 1999-07-22 16:39:30 UTC
Carl, first Autocad is a drawing program, and does not directly
provide signals to drive machine hardware. You convert the
Autocad drawings to G-code, and then supply them to another
program that outputs the needed signals. If you are buying a
mill with power feeds, these are usually not the same type
of motor that a CNC uses, and you will also have to change
your leadsrews to ball screws. This CNC stuff gets very complicated,
quickly. Steppers or Servos, depends on what type of work the
machine will be doing, and everyone will have there own preferences.
Buying a cnc mill, already equipment would be the best for someone
without mechanical and electronic, and software, and intergration
skills. I am not trying to scare you, but if you read this group for a
few months, it will give you an idea of what will be required to roll
your own CNC.

Steve Carlisle

----------
From: Carl Fiorletta <c-fiorletta@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo Motor
Date: Thursday, July 22, 1999 3:07 PM

From: "Carl Fiorletta" <c-fiorletta@...>

Ian,

Your message reminded me of a question that I've meant to ask this group
for
some time.

I plan to buy a vertical mill and drive the x/y axes with a PC running
AutoCAD and the appropriate 'middle-ware.' The questions are:

1) do I buy a fully manual mill and fit servo motors to it or try to adapt
control to the motors provided on the driven axes of the mill. I have a
hunch that the OEM drive motors do not have any type of encoder.

2) for this type of work are servo motors with encoders or stepper motors
preferred? I have no idea of what the various controls require.

Your input will be appreciated.

Carl Fiorletta

ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.