CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: can you help identify a stepper motor?

on 2001-01-03 13:56:36 UTC
Phil,

Stepper motors have 2 or more coils. Power is sequenced to the coils,
turning sometimes 1 on, sometimes 2 windings on. The armature will
"step" around, following the powered coils. There are typically 200
such steps for a full revolution. Stepper motors require electronics
(transistor switches) to turn the windings on and off in a prescribed
manner. These switches get "steps" from a computer to make the switches
sequence.

Servo motors are "precision" motors. Usually DC, and they work just
like a normal DC motor. Better parts, special cores/windings, bearings
etc. They will usually spin fine with a little power applied. Servo
motors need a different type of transistor switch to PWM (pulse width
modulate) the current to the motor winding. This switch controls the
percentage of time the current is on, and the direction it flows. The
PWM is controlled by a computer.

Don't connect the encoders until you determine what type they are. An
encoder is a slotted disk, with a photocell/LED pair that shines through
the slots. As the shaft of the motor turns, the slots interrupt the
light, and the photocell sees it. Actually, there are usually 2 or more
photocell/LED pairs, and either analog or digital or digital signals are
generated. These signals are normally 90 deg. out of phase, in
"quadrature". Electronic circuits can use these two signals to sense
direction and speed of the rotating part, and the signals can be thought
of as "steps", similar to the steps (pulse or square wave signals) we
send to the stepper motor drivers.

Hope this gives you some simple answers to your questions. There is an
abundance of information on steppers and servo on the net, also see this
list's FAQ (usually seen on the bottom of email'ed posts, see the text
added to your post below).

Alan KM6VV