CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: re:taig Maxnc spindle

on 2001-01-05 12:22:43 UTC
comments interspersed.....

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:
> The website appears to be a dealer for BOTH taig and MaxNC. I would
> be surprised if Otto (at MaxNC) has Taig making spindles for him.
> He's pretty much an I'll do it myself kind of guy, IMO. And thay
are
> direct competitors...

Taig routinely sells parts to potential competitors. Don't know
about this case, but they do sell quantiites of lathe headstocks, etc
to other manufacturers.

> Uses G38.2 (UGGGHHH!!! G38 is a 'feature' probing routine in
everyone
> elses' control... NIST ignored the G31 'skip' standard here.) Why
> can't they use the 'standards' which have evolved in the commercial
> sector... It seems that no one wants to accept what is already
done.
> As if doing so somehow compromises THEIR ingenuity. IMO, THIS is
the
> REAL reason behind hundreds of flavors of gcode.

From a control makers standpoint there reasons for moving away from a
"standard". I notice Fanuc controls are now available on Bridgeport,
Haas(?), Fadal, and Cinncinati (sp) machines among others. In the
past those guys had their own controls only. It sure didn't hurt
Fanuc to go their own way.

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with controls that aren't
standard Gcode-wise. You just deal with it. The machine's hardware
is usually different enough in capacity, accuracy, hp, etc that you
have to compensate for those factors anyway.

Doug

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2001-01-05 09:26:32 UTC re:taig Maxnc spindle dougrasmussen@c... 2001-01-05 12:22:43 UTC Re: re:taig Maxnc spindle