CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digest Number 110

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-07-28 01:35:00 UTC
[This is an interesting idea, making a CNC version of the old
engine-turning machines, or converting an existing CNC mill to handle this
function. I envision a walking foot that would be fitted into the spindle
collet, which would have a hand-modulated lever which could be used to
compensate for slight waviness of the work surface, or to introduce some
variation into the cut. It could be made to hold an interchangable graver,
and the operator would be able to make subtle adjustments on the fly, the
same as the antique machines.]

Andrew Werby

>>From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>

>>How wavy are the clock faces?
>

>Typically the width of the waves on the clock faces are not too exagerated,
>because the cutters did not index the way i'm talking about. If the cutter
>can keep in the direction of cut, the pattern can be anything you can draw.
>You could do traditional rose engine stuff this way on a rotary table,
>without the indexable cutter, but it would involve the multiple setups of
>traditional engine turning. I envision a dial plate clamped in one set up
>where you could engine turn the fields, engrave the numbers, drill the
>holes and mill the edges in one set up with some clamp walking.
>
>David M. Munro

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-07-28 01:35:00 UTC Re: Digest Number 110 Ian W. Wright 1999-07-28 10:17:28 UTC Re: Digest Number 110 David M. Munro 1999-07-28 17:08:06 UTC Re: Digest Number 110