CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digest Number 110

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 1999-07-28 10:17:28 UTC
HI,

I am also interested in the potential for engine turning and envisage
using the full 4-dimensions to engrave the outside of watch cases etc. I
can't remember which programme it was but I distinctly remember seeing
one a while ago (before I got serious about CNC) which had a function
for cutting out material where it had stepper control on the spindle
such that you could put a knife in it and it would move the direction of
the knife blade to follow the cut - in other words, partial rotation
with its direction so that the cutting edge always follows the motion
direction. Replace the knife with a graver, perhaps even setting the
x-axis at a slight angle to get a true 'diamond-cut' effect and viola, a
real engraving machine. The alternative for good work would be, of
course, to use the CNC to engrave a shallow cut and then to finish it by
hand using this as a guide.

Ian

Andrew Werby wrote:

> From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
>
> [This is an interesting idea, making a CNC version of the old
> engine-turning machines, or converting an existing CNC mill to handle this
> function. I envision a walking foot that would be fitted into the spindle
> collet, which would have a hand-modulated lever which could be used to
> compensate for slight waviness of the work surface, or to introduce some
> variation into the cut. It could be made to hold an interchangable graver,
> and the operator would be able to make subtle adjustments on the fly, the
> same as the antique machines.]

Best wishes

Ian

--

Ian W. Wright LBHI
Sheffield Branch Chairman of the British Horological Institute.

'Music is the filling of regular time intervals with harmonious
oscillations.'

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-07-28 01:35:00 UTC Re: Digest Number 110 Ian W. Wright 1999-07-28 10:17:28 UTC Re: Digest Number 110 David M. Munro 1999-07-28 17:08:06 UTC Re: Digest Number 110