CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1046

Posted by Mark Peugeot
on 2001-01-12 12:10:43 UTC
Well not knowing any better, I rewired my house and used #2 wire and a 100
AMP breaker with a 200 AMP main... I figured overkill would not hurt... I
have used my at full duty at my shop though with much thinner wire and
only a 50 AMP breaker. I have a ProCut 25 that I use with 230v and I
really wish I had the ProCut 55.

When you weld on thick Aluminum you really challenge a small TIG welder
like this because Aluminum sucks up the heat so well. I love the
Squarewave 175 I have... totally simple to use and makes a nice weld...
even an amatuer like myself looks good using it.

Hell even though TIG is more "expensive" than stick or flux core welding,
I use it for everything since it never makes a mess.

Mark

> Message: 21
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:34:05 -0500
> From: "Woody" <gggwood@...>
> Subject: TIG Welders
>
> OK, I know this isn't quit the correct forum for this question
> but I've seen similar topics bandied about here before so
> I'll go ahead & ask.
>
> At some point in my future I'm going to buy a welder. My
> main concern is Aluminum welding so AC is a must.
> From the list, it seems the welder to have is the Lincoln
> Squarewave 175. Seems reasonable.
>
> The problem I'm having is the spec'ed input and out put
> ratings. The manual says the service feed must be 65A
> breakered at 125A on a 230V line.
>
> This seems like allot for a 150A welder. The output of
> 14.8V at the rated 150A is about 2.2KW. The input
> requirements of 230V @ 65A is almost 15KW.
>
> That means almost 13KW dissipation in the welder.
> Now, I'll admit I've probably got VA, Watts, RMS and
> the like all screwed up, but 13 KILOWATTS?
>
> The manual ALSO says this thing can be run on
> 8AWG Cu wire and a 50A plug.
>
> Come on!!! Somebody help me out here.
> What am I doing wrong...
>
> Has somebody actually got one of these things and
> if so what service are they using, what's it breakered
> at and is working with out setting anything on fire?
>
> -G

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2001-01-12 11:06:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1046 Mark Peugeot 2001-01-12 12:10:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1046 Smoke 2001-01-12 12:21:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1046 Paul 2001-01-12 15:38:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] TIG Welders