CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] TIG Welders

Posted by Hugh Prescott
on 2001-01-12 17:15:02 UTC
Copper

Sorry I didn't say so. I have a Biomed Engineering mindset that considers
only copper. Twenty plus years as a service engineer installing, startups
and service of high power medical X-Ray systems. Now safely retired to
computer network maintance. Would never use Al wire.

If aluminum wires are used to feed an X-Ray system it will not be "stiff"
enough to meet Food & Drug calibrations standards. Aluminum wires are good
for transmission lines etc at many thousand volts. Never would use it in
commercial buildings or houses.

High power X-Ray systems typically would require doubling the wire size (in
circular mills) to feed these things and separate set of transformers from
the rest of the hospital. Typical setup was two systems synchronized
together being pulsed up to 12 times a second for 4 - 6 seconds bursts at
150 kW each level. 1 to 100 mS exposure time .

Systems used double secondary transformers one side going negative to - 75
kV DC and the other side going positive to 75 kV DC to get 150 kV across
X-Ray tube. Delta & Y wound secondary solid state diodes for 12 pulse
rectified DC out.

The switching mech. was forced commutation using six 1000V 1000 amp diodes,
a 1000 UF cap bank and two 1000V 1500 AMP SCR switches. One fires to short
the bridge and the second dumps the cap bank across the first SCR to force
it off.. You can hear the SCR click when they fire. The wafer physically
distorts when carrying that much current.

The limiting factor is the weight of the X-Ray tube anode which is a 5 -6
inch tungsten-molibium disk spinning at 10 K RPM. At the end of a 6 second
run at high frame rate the disk will be orange colored due to the heat
produced by the electrons hitting it which produce 99.999 percent heat &
.001 usable X-Ray.

Another impressive device is the film changers that move a 14 inch square
sheet of X-Ray film out of one lead box into an exposure area, stop it,
clamp it tell the X-Ray control to make an exposure unclamp when exposure is
over and move it to a second lead box for storage. The second sheet is being
moved in place right behind the first 12 times a second with nothing but
servo motors, mag clutches,rubber rollers and steel fingers.

Impressive stuff when it works, great fireworks when it fails.

Hugh