CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re:Excessive Quoting / one-liners

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-01-14 16:36:42 UTC
Bryan H wrote:
>to me it makes sense to keep the subject line accurate,
>therefore only a brief snip (if that) would be needed in a reply to
>keep ones comments in context for the reader.

I used to do this. Then I found that many people would not realise
this was the SAME thread. And therefore missed something, which added
to "bandwidth" later; what's the difference? I'm now trying to post
just enough (of the replyed-to post) that someone who HASN'T been
following can get something useful... That seems LESS a waste of time
than to expect someone to "backwards sift" to see what the heck is
being discussed.
It also allows someone who hadn't been following to enter the
conversation NOW.

The other reality of all this 'accurate topic' stuff is that some
posts cover MANY items. Like a garage sale, how do you list that?

>If a topic is being discussed of which I have knowledge, I will wait
>and see what the our regular posting experts have to say on the
subject (usually covering anything I might have to say)...<snip>

You do realise that I am also waiting to hear what YOU have to say?!?!
I don't learn much by talking, and you may say something in a way
that helps me. Please don't wait... Jon E and I often post similar
answers (at times I think we're typing at the same time :-) . But I
still learn from his posts... Let me learn from yours as well...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

Gail & Bryan Harries 2001-01-14 09:25:15 UTC Excessive Quoting / one-liners ballendo@y... 2001-01-14 16:36:42 UTC re:Excessive Quoting / one-liners Gail & Bryan Harries 2001-01-15 12:04:20 UTC re:Excessive Quoting / one-liners