CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: re:re: infamous ballscrews

on 2001-01-18 08:48:23 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:
> Steve G wrote:
> >I don't know what the "infamous 5/8 inch screws" are. Can you clue
me
> >in? Are we talking about ballscrews or Acme leadscrews?
>
> Steve,
>
> We're talking ballscrews. 5/8 diameter, .200 lead (5TPI) which is
probably
> the most common ballscrew in existence. When used with a full step
stepper
> drive these will give a resolution of .001". Half-step and you'll
get
> .0005".

That sounds very good. 5/8 should certainly be heavy enough for this,
although they will be unsupported at one end I won't be running a lot
of torque as I don't -really- want to cut anyone in half. And 5tpi is
probably just about right.

> Infamous?!? Probably because ballscrews, like most things, are made
in
> differing quality levels, and the person who pursues price only may
feel
> "burned" when the screws do not meet expectations... Not the screws
> fault :-)

Well, I'm not just pursuing price. I want to make sure I don't end up
buying hyper-accurate preloaded .000001 accuracy per foot teflon and
carbide ballscrews and nuts for something that just has to open a
door. :')

> Hope this helps.

Yes! All of you are being very helpful. Even ideas that I may have
considered, I'm getting new perspectives on this. I may have discarded
a particular idea because I don't have enough knowledge.

Thanks,
Steve Greenfield

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2001-01-18 04:03:11 UTC re:re: infamous ballscrews Steve Greenfield 2001-01-18 08:48:23 UTC Re: re:re: infamous ballscrews