CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC withRH6.2

Posted by currinh@O...
on 2001-01-27 08:40:44 UTC
Les:

I have EMC installed on a RH6.2 system. I don't have a CNC
running with it but have gotten motion of a stepper motor, on
the bench, using it. I must say I know a more linux now than
when I started. :-)

I had trouble getting RH6.2 running, eventually changing out
the video board. But overall the install directions with RH
were good and linux support on the web in amazing. I think for
a functional EMC the X Windows in linux is a must.

I had more trouble getting rtlinux running. I followed the
INSTALL.phil description and found a few errors in these. The
errors are such that one competent with linux would say "he
obviously means....", but for me it caused hours of digging
through linux books and trying different things. I documented
these "errors" and what I did instead. If you'd like a copy
let me know, I can send as a text file or as a long e-mail.

Once I had rtlinux running installing EMC was a snap but I
think I was lucky here.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Les Watts" <leswatts@r...> wrote:

> Paul has mentioned some problems with the gcc and library
> files versions on the 6.2 distribution disk.

I didn't have any problems here using the distribution from RH.

> I had to install rh6.2 server to get the auto-partition feature
> even though the install guide says otherwise. I do not know if
server rather
> than workstation is a problem or not.

I'm not sure but I think the server install doesn't include the
X Windows system. For a stand alone shop system I'd think the
workstation or custom install would be better.

> Sadly my internet is through windows.

Well, this is a great opportunity to learn more about linux,
win-modems, ppp protocol, etc. :-) i.e. why not configure the
linux box for internet access? Well, 'cuz I don't have two
weeks to spare? :-( I luckily have a CD-ROM burner so I
download using Windows and burn a CD to transfer to linux.

> Right now I have to conclude that the latest version with a script
that has
> actually been run on machines and tested
> uses rh5.2. Tims install script would appear to be the easiest
> to use with this. Do you folks concur?

I've been told RH6.2 is quite an improvement over 5.2. I don't
know if those improvements would be of any use for a special
purpose CNC machine or not. There are a lot more people one this
list using 5.2 so help would be more readily available.

But mainly, I wanted to offer my INSTALL.phil correction /
improvement documentation to anyone working towards RH6.2.

Hugh Currin
Klamath Falls, OR

Discussion Thread

Les Watts 2001-01-26 08:47:48 UTC EMC withRH6.2 currinh@O... 2001-01-27 08:40:44 UTC Re: EMC withRH6.2 Lloyd Stallkamp 2001-01-27 09:29:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC withRH6.2 Les Watts 2001-01-27 11:13:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC withRH6.2 Jon Elson 2001-01-27 13:24:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC withRH6.2 Hugh Currin 2001-01-28 17:49:35 UTC Re: EMC withRH6.2