CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Series II quill question...

indigo_red@... wrote:

> On my Series 2, previously I posted a question about spindle oil
> types and where to inject it. Well it seems that the people who
> I purchased it from didnt know either. I almost made the
> mistake of putting a heavy oil in there, but someone earlier
> definitly did put heavy way oil in the quill areas. I find that
> when 'cold', its darn near impossible to move the quill
> up and down without a lot of working 1st. Then after
> it has moved some, its easier, but still takes a
> lot of effort and feels damped by the oil.
> The oil on the quill body feels sticky like Way lube.

I have been using SAE # 10 oil in the spindle of my Bridgeport
1-J head. There are special spindle oils designed for this,
but the Bridgeport manual specifies SAE #10. The Series-II 4-J
uses an essentially similar quill, etc. so it may be similar.
Now, the Series-II is listed in the catalog as using grease-packed
bearings for 'lifetime' lubrication. That, of course, means the life
of the bearings, not the machine. The quill is lubricated by a wick,
probably with the SAE #10 oil as on the 1-J. If the original
bearings have been changed, then they may require oil lube.
One way to find out is to drop the spindle bearing 'cartridge' and
see if the bearings have seals or not. If totally open, then likely
these are NOT the permanently grease-packed bearings.
To take the bearings out for a quick inspection, there is a setscrew
in the side of the quill that secures the end cap. Remove the setscrew,
and unscrew the end cap carefully. When you get the cap off, the
entire spindle and bearing set may drop out, or it may stay in place.
But, you will be able to look up and inspect the frontmost
bearing, at least.

As for a sticky quill, way oil may be too thick. Again, at least on
the 1-J, SAE #10 is advised. You should run the quill all the way
out and look for any chips that have been drawn into the space
between the housing and quill. Also, the tightening of the nuts that
hold the head in place is critical to quill friction. On the 1-J, there
is a procedure to tighten all the nuts to 25 Ft-Lb, then again to
50 Ft-Lb, precisely. If the procedure is not followed, quill binding
is said to be the result. I suspect the torques may be different on the
4-J, but I suspect proper securing of these nuts is also important
to get the quill to travel smoothly. The quill is fitted to the head
with an extremely tight tolerance.

The quill and bearing oil on the 1-J goes in an oil cup on the right
side of the main housing. My catalog pictures do not show an
oil cup anywhere on the 4-J, but they do specify quill lube is by
an oil wick.

indigo_red@q... 2001-02-15 16:50:27 UTC Series II quill question... Jon Elson 2001-02-15 22:48:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Series II quill question... indigo_red@q... 2001-02-16 08:18:44 UTC Re: Series II quill question...