CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?)

on 2001-02-17 09:04:37 UTC
Thanks Marcus,

I've been reading things on the Sherline page now for a good hour or
two. I planned, with this vast some of money I hope to make, to buy a very
simple mill, a TIG set and Plasma cutter from ESAB. I already have a VERY
simple (Clarke) mig set and oxy/acet torch (Harris, cost a lot!) but I was
going to pack them in for TIG and Plasma. It depends how much the monsters
at ASDA will pay me to put Kit-Kat's on the shelves for two months every
night of the week. After cruising through the Sherline page for all this
time I was thinking though. I thought ealier that I could pay for the mill
by selling small machined bits to people who couldn't afford to go to a
larger metal working shop. So I thought that with such small precision bits
there would be quite a calling for a TIG set to weld togther small
essemblies, and I adore welding. If I don't get enough from ASDA I will
leave the cutter though and buy a much better mill with the fourth axis and
four extra dimensions on the Sherline 2000, plus the TIG set. The other
option would be to leave both the TIG and Plasma cutter and get the 2000, a
Sherline lathe and a nice bench. The only criticism I have with Sherline is
their page is just SO big! It's too much to handle for more than thirty
minutes straight without some type of cafine. And that they don't supply the
CNC kits directly. I've found pages that will sell the 5400 CNC kits but non
that will do the 2000. I've written to one asking if the 5400 will operate
the 2000. Non of them seem to have controllers that will take the forth axis
stepper. Anyone know where might? I've tried Flashcut and a number of
others. I've also seen Sherline gantry mills (I don't plan to buy one), are
these their own or bought in from someone else? Finally, where abouts is San
Diago? Because my family and I are planning to visit the US this year but I
have no idea where San Diago is. And since the Sherline factory is there I
could go for a free tour if we were near-by.

Regards,
John