CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?)

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2001-02-18 11:29:01 UTC
Message: 5
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:26:10 -0000
From: <e.heritage@...>
Subject: New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?)

Hello to the list,

It was suggested by a friend from the casting news group that I come
here to discuss home CNC. I took the time to read the letter you send out
to new subscribers and I'm not 17 until September, but I assume you really
mean that you want people who can be careful and have enough time to listen.
I don't have the money in hand now but I hope that over the summer I
will earn enough to buy a desktop CNC metal working mill (I LOVE anything
to do with metal work). I was looking at either the Taig or MAXNC 10-2 or
15 with the fourth axis upgrade as well. The Taig has the more powerful
steppers (By 55oz/in) but the MAXNC's use a 1/5 hp motor and the taig a 1/8
hp.

[Actually, you can opt for a 1/3 hp motor at no extra charge if you're
willing to wire in its momentary switch yourself (not a big deal, but they
didn't want to hassle with UL over it.)]

The MAXNC looks much more enclosed as well so even though I'm being tempted
by the Taigs steppers I could really use something that uses the least
space for it's ability.

[I'm not sure what you mean by more enclosed. Both are basically open, as
far as the screws being exposed to chips, etc. The Taig does come with
clips to hold plastic way covers (polyethylene - like plastic bags are made
of) for the Y axis, but there is no similar provision for the X. The MaxNC
doesn't have any way covers or clips for Y or Z, although you can buy some
from Kadien, a thrid-party vendor. They also sell a box-type enclosure for
the MaxNC machines with a lift-up lid. Both the MaxNC 15 and the Taig 2000
LE take up about the same amount of space.]

I was a little disappointed that unless i spend over $2500 I can't get
anything with a bed movement over 5in by 8in, it's not too bad though for
what I have in mind for it.

[I sell the Taig 2000 LE (travels of 12" X, 5.5 Y, 6" Z] for $1975. The 4th
axis attachment is extra, though.]

I'm unsure as to what this board is. Whether it's for people interested
in making their own CNC mills or buying desktop ones.

[Both are welcome here; we discuss using them as well as building them and
making modifications.]

One of my possible goals with the mill would be to mill the peices for Kurt
Schrecklings 64 turbine (I think it's 64, it's been a very long time since
I read his excellent book). What I'd like though is to hear from anyone who
has used one of these two mills. Or anyone who can suggest one much like
them. I've heared about the Sherline and the CNC upgrades but I'm not so
sure about them. Why do non of these three mills come with bit cooling?

[I don't know. It's not too hard to rig a cooling system, though. Mount
the mill in a pan for coolant recovery, and use a small submersible pump to
recirculate the coolant. ]

Doesn't it get slightly warm milling metal?

[You bet! Some of us who mainly work on aluminum get by with an occasional
spritz of WD-40, but steel really wants flood or mist cooling.]

I saw a video of the Taig busy and it really is amazing to watch, I can't
wait to get my hands on a mill!

Thanks very much for any help at all,
John Heritage

[No problem, John. Where did you find the Taig video- on the web someplace?]

www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

e.heritage@b... 2001-02-17 05:27:45 UTC New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) Marcus & Eva 2001-02-17 08:40:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) e.heritage@b... 2001-02-17 09:04:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) Lloyd Stallkamp 2001-02-17 09:34:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) Stan Nipper 2001-02-17 15:50:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) Tim Goldstein 2001-02-17 18:35:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) Andrew Werby 2001-02-18 11:29:01 UTC New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?) ozzietwo2001@y... 2001-02-18 12:23:38 UTC Re: New to list (Maxnc, Taig, Sherline?)Resurrecting