CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Interplotation?

on 2001-02-19 04:01:12 UTC
Ballendo,

Thanks for the descriptions of interpolation. They do indeed sell
ech-o-sketches here. You said in the very beginning of your reply that if I
was to imagine a machine with just the X and Z axis then turning one of
these knobs would move the pen in four directions. Wouldn't it be turning
both the knobs at the same time? Turning just one will only move it along
one plane so it would only have two directions.
I have absolutely no idea what parabolic interpolation is all about but
I will have a guess and you can tell me how many miles I'm off. Is it that
the Z plane can also be tipped on it's axis to form curves that are vertical
to the bed. I only remember a parabola as being a curved line on a graph or
a mirror for a lamp. And that you can draw one by keeping the pen at a
distance that is shared between the two points but is always the same (The
draw the elipse with two pins and some string trick). So would parabolic
interpolation be that the Z will tilt so it will be able to reach under the
top of a curve? I'm thinking of something like a mirror from a torch on the
bed and it's standing vertical so there is an underside to it that is hard
to reach, it curves under itself. Anywhere close?

John