CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power Supply Question.

on 2001-02-20 14:21:57 UTC
Jason,

Good questions!

I think you'll find that none of these parts needs to be insulated or
isolated from the case. As long as the terminals are not in contact
with the case, you should be fine. The driver boards will probably have
a set of holes on the corners (I'm guessing), and circuit boards are
typically mounted on short (1/2 - 1") aluminum standoffs. Insure that
the standoff does not contact a "trace" on the board! I suspect that
the large filter cap has a "strap" type, end- mounting clamp. This
should allow you to mount it vertically. Use lugs on the wires
connecting the cap, and whatever is appropriate for the bridge
rectifier. Many times "push on" connectors are used here. The power
cord should be fused with the appropriate size, probably 5A or so. The
power cord should have it's GREEN wire grounded to the chassis. The HOT
wire is the one to fuse, and also gets a power switch. Your power supply
schematic should show this. A power-on indicator is also a nice
addition.

DB25's connectors can be board mounted, have crimp pins, or solderable
pins. Crimp pins are probably the best (other then PCB mount), but
you'll need a tool!

Are you making your own chassis? The transformer can be heavy, try to
get one with thick sheet metal!

Hope these little hints get you up and running!

Alan KM6VV

andesign2@... wrote:

> I am in the process of making my own power supply for Dan's 5 Amp
> driver boards. So far I have purchased all the components to
> assemble a supply similar to the one that is shown in Dan's manual.
> It has now come time to assemble all of the components to make the
> supply and I have a couple of questions. First of all do I need to
> isolate the metal feet of the transformer from the case which will
> house all the components. On the same note do I need to isolate
> everything (driver boards, capacitor, bridge rectifier, db25
> interface) from the case? I am new to CNC and don't have an
> extensive knowledge of electronics but I am eager to learn. I hope
> this is not to silly of a question. I am sure I will have more
> questions as I go along. Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Discussion Thread

andesign2@y... 2001-02-20 10:34:37 UTC Power Supply Question. Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-20 14:21:57 UTC Re: Power Supply Question. andesign2@y... 2001-02-20 15:07:51 UTC Re: Power Supply Question. Jon Elson 2001-02-20 22:06:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power Supply Question. davemucha@j... 2001-02-21 08:01:54 UTC Re: Power Supply Question.