CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power Supply Question.

on 2001-02-20 15:07:51 UTC
Alan,

Thanks for the tips. I have not yet decided if I am going to make my
own chassis or try to find someting to fit everything in. I have
purchased a switch from Radio Shack with a built in light that I will
use for the Power Switch/Power-On indicator. The DB25 interface is a
kit from Dan that I have already assembled. The DB25 connector is
soldered to a circuit board so I will simply mount the board with
standoffs. I believe this information will take me to the next step.

Thanks,

Jason

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Good questions!
>
> I think you'll find that none of these parts needs to be insulated
or
> isolated from the case. As long as the terminals are not in contact
> with the case, you should be fine. The driver boards will probably
have
> a set of holes on the corners (I'm guessing), and circuit boards are
> typically mounted on short (1/2 - 1") aluminum standoffs. Insure
that
> the standoff does not contact a "trace" on the board! I suspect
that
> the large filter cap has a "strap" type, end- mounting clamp. This
> should allow you to mount it vertically. Use lugs on the wires
> connecting the cap, and whatever is appropriate for the bridge
> rectifier. Many times "push on" connectors are used here. The
power
> cord should be fused with the appropriate size, probably 5A or so.
The
> power cord should have it's GREEN wire grounded to the chassis.
The HOT
> wire is the one to fuse, and also gets a power switch. Your power
supply
> schematic should show this. A power-on indicator is also a nice
> addition.
>
> DB25's connectors can be board mounted, have crimp pins, or
solderable
> pins. Crimp pins are probably the best (other then PCB mount), but
> you'll need a tool!
>
> Are you making your own chassis? The transformer can be heavy, try
> get one with thick sheet metal!
>
> Hope these little hints get you up and running!
>
> Alan KM6VV
>

> andesign2@y... wrote:
> >
> > I am in the process of making my own power supply for Dan's 5 Amp
> > driver boards. So far I have purchased all the components to
> > assemble a supply similar to the one that is shown in Dan's
manual.
> > It has now come time to assemble all of the components to make the
> > supply and I have a couple of questions. First of all do I need
> > isolate the metal feet of the transformer from the case which will
> > house all the components. On the same note do I need to isolate
> > everything (driver boards, capacitor, bridge rectifier, db25
> > interface) from the case? I am new to CNC and don't have an
> > extensive knowledge of electronics but I am eager to learn. I
hope
> > this is not to silly of a question. I am sure I will have more
> > questions as I go along. Any information would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

Discussion Thread

andesign2@y... 2001-02-20 10:34:37 UTC Power Supply Question. Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-20 14:21:57 UTC Re: Power Supply Question. andesign2@y... 2001-02-20 15:07:51 UTC Re: Power Supply Question. Jon Elson 2001-02-20 22:06:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power Supply Question. davemucha@j... 2001-02-21 08:01:54 UTC Re: Power Supply Question.