CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gates Timing Belts

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-02-20 20:49:15 UTC
Hi!

An idler can increase the "wrap" of a small pulley. Avoid it if you
can, but it can be useful at times...

Seems intuitve to me that the force in tension applied to a shorter
length of belt will be spread "less" than the same force carried by a
longer section of the tension member. Which accounts for a short belt
failing sooner than a long one for a given torque...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. Ditto, on the app engineers at gates.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Gary.Rose@c... wrote:
> Les,
>
> A couple of things to think about:
>
> 1. For any synchronous belt drive, each pulley should have at
least 6
> teeth in mesh with the belt at all times. Any less will reduce the
> amount of torque capacity. (ALWAYS Rule #1!).

> 3. Belt length is also a factor. Shorter belts can't take as much
> torque as longer belts. (Don't ask me why, it seems kind of
> unintuitive - but it works).

> If you are talking to Gates, I would ask to speak to an Applications
> Engineer and explain your application - they may be able to suggest
> a belt configuration (pulley size, length, width, tensile member)
> that will work for you. I've found them to be fairly helpful in
> the past.
> Gary

Discussion Thread

Gary.Rose@c... 2001-02-19 10:56:44 UTC Re: Gates Timing Belts Hugh Currin 2001-02-19 11:31:44 UTC Re: Gates Timing Belts Les Watts 2001-02-19 11:40:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gates Timing Belts ballendo@y... 2001-02-20 20:49:15 UTC Re: Gates Timing Belts