CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lathe DRO (was What to buy me, oh my)

Posted by John Murphy
on 2001-02-22 05:19:19 UTC
I just bought a Jet 9x20 benchtop this weekend. I have one of the
Grizzly
mini mills that I CNC'd.

1) I wish in a big way I had bought a bigger mill. I've invested all
of the time
to CNC a mill now, and wish I had gone bigger (Don't have the space
right now). When
I move, I'm going to look at one of the Bridgeport series 1 or 2.

2) The quality of the Jet tool is MUCH better than my grizzly or the
stuff I've
seen at the harbor freight store. All the parts are there, no dents or
scratches,
better fit and finish, etc. No adjustments were needed to immediatly
produce
_incredible_ parts with the Jet lathe... The grizzly mini-mill took a
bit of
fiddling with the stock screws before I was content with things; Then I
replaced
them.

Anyway, I am thrilled with the Jet I just bought. I was second guessing
myself
because I paid a bit more for the Jet over (what otherwise appears
identical) the
Grizzly and Harbor freight 9x20 lathes. If you look close, they appear
_identical_. Based on my inspection, the designs are virtually
identical, but
the quality is not. The Jet works great!

On other things....

I'm looking at doing a lathe DRO using the US Digital encoder strips.
How do
all of you mount these? I'm assuming you build some protective housing
for the
strip and HEDS unit?

murph