CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: To Belt or Not to Belt

Posted by tom@t...
on 2001-02-23 16:47:47 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., JanRwl@A... wrote:
> In a message dated 22-Feb-01 23:55:21 Central Standard Time,
> carlcnc@s... writes:
>

> > Any input is appreciated.
> >

> (snip)Carl: I suppose if your absolute-positional accuracy is not
as critical on
> the alum. and plastics as much metal-machining demands, i.e., "same
as good
> cabinetmaker work" is close enough, then the belt would be OK.

Okay, that does IT! I scored 4 used really nice 7' ballscrew(1"
Warner) assemblies with big, heavy steel tracks and a carriage
assembly. The whole thing is spun with a EG&G servo motor with 500
line encoders and tach feedback. Complete with limit switches the
assemblies weigh 80 -90 lbs each. I was going to use them to build
my combo plasma cutter/wood router-interchangable head design. The
screws are 5 TPI. The units really hum along at 48 volts DC. Prior
to aquisition of the units I was sold on rack and pinion. Now after
reading some more posts I have decided that ballscrews on this type
of design are going to cause me problems. I guess I will use the
servos and go back to rack and pinion for rapid traverse and dirty
atmospheres. I can still use the ballscrews cut down for my
mill/drill conversion. Now I have to go back to the drawing board!
All that daydream engineering wasted :-)

Discussion Thread

carlcnc@s... 2001-02-22 21:51:06 UTC To Belt or Not to Belt Les Watts 2001-02-23 06:22:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] To Belt or Not to Belt JanRwl@A... 2001-02-23 09:56:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] To Belt or Not to Belt tom@t... 2001-02-23 16:47:47 UTC Re: To Belt or Not to Belt