CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbie questions

on 2001-02-24 21:49:33 UTC
Dan,

I would greatly appreciate any pics and info you can provide. I'm a good
few weeks away from starting this project myself. I've just recently moved
up to New England so its time to start scouting for a series 1 or 2 machine
that is in good mechanical shape but needs a controller. I'm from NY, where
these were a dime a dozen when I wasn't looking for one (figures right?)

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Vincent

-----Original Message-----
From: dwilk@... [mailto:dwilk@...]
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 4:21 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbie questions

Hi, I'm currently in the process of converting a boss 3 mill to PC
control. I am using an Ah-Ha 12 AMP control with my PC. Hope to have
it running next week with a little luck. I can only work on it for
short periods of time. I would be glad to help you as much as
possible and send pics later. Dan

In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., VLOCCI@Y... wrote:
> I apologize if this is a terribly basic question, but I've read
> through the "files" and "bookmarks" sections of the website and
have
> yet to find the required info.
>
> I'm considering converting a bridgeport series 1 to PC control.
> These mills (with Boss 1-5 controllers) are a dime a dozen here in
> the northeast and I've stubled across quite a few for less than
1K.
> The controllers are always shot, or missing parts, but the mills
> themselves always seem like they are in good condition. After one
> too many years cranking my own handwheels, it time to let the
> computer do the hard work.
>
> Here goes on questions:
>
> 1) anyone done such a conversion and documented the process
> reasonably well. I'm far from a electrical engineer but I hold my
> own with wiring, soldering and computer inconnectivity. Is such a
> conversion over the head of a beginner?
>
> 2) what controllers are out there for such a conversion at a
> reasonable cost. I've found several mentions to the Gecko units,
and
> their cost seems to come in lowest. Am I missing something or is
> this really "too good to be true?" Which would be the correct unit
> to use in an application such as this? Is it as simple as ordering
> stepper controller like the gecco units, wiring them up and feeding
> them some sort of input from the computer? I'm assuming the input
> the stepper controllers comes via parallel port? (or is there
> something in between the output of the computer and the input to
the
> stepper controller?)
>
> 3) I'm in need of software reccomendations. the CAD side of things
> I'm OK with, having spend quite a few years with IDEAS and
> Solidworks. After greating a part in a CAd package, what next?
I'm
> assming you need to send it to some sort of post processor to
> generate G code which the stepper controllers can work with. Any
> suggestions as to what to use? (ideally windows 98, as I have 0
> experience with Linux)
>
> 4) what else am I missing in this picture? PC with software, some
> sort of stepper motor controller and finally the bridgeport
installed
> steppers. The spindle motor wiring and 3 phase requirements I can
> easily take care of myself.
>
> As I'm sure this is pretty basis stuff for most, and I hate to clog
> up the list with newbie questions, feel free to reply via private
> email. (vlocci@y... in case the headers are stripped)
>

> Thank in advance,
>
> Vincent

Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the