CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rhino vs Truespace?

Posted by rab@r...
on 2001-03-19 16:19:34 UTC
Fred,

I used to use Truespace way back when I had our first 'real'
computer, not a bad program once you got used to it. I can't really
comment on the newer versions, but as John says, free old versions
are available. I know of one jeweller who used it to create STL file
for rapid prototyping to lost wax casting.
Although I havn't used Rhino beyond a go with the demo, it has a very
good reputation for it's nurbs modelling capabilities and has good
import/export.
Remember, Truespace is an 'everything' package from modelling to
animation while Rhino concentrates on being as good a modelling
program as it can be.
I use 3D Studio Max from Discreet because I've owned it for a few
years and find it very easy to use, it's also got good scripting
capabilities which I use to output HPGL straight to a Roland CNC
2300. There may be a free version of this for games modelling called
GMax available soon, but I can't say if it would be of any use.

Best advice is to try some demos,

Rab

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., imserv@v... wrote:
> Has anybody done a serious comparison of Rhino vs Truespace 4 or 5?
> Or know of maybe a magazine article that did a fair job of side by
> side comparison? I was reviewing the Truespace web site today & saw
> that they have an older version for as little as $49! While the
> version 5 with support for IGES, STL, SAT, etc is about $894,
version
> 4 is selling for under $500 and that seems to be a pretty good deal.
>
> http://www.caligari.com
>
> http://www.rhino3d.com
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fred Smith
> IMService

Discussion Thread

imserv@v... 2001-03-19 14:27:00 UTC Rhino vs Truespace? John Stevenson 2001-03-19 15:01:30 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? John Stevenson 2001-03-19 15:05:28 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? imserv@v... 2001-03-19 15:30:39 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? rab@r... 2001-03-19 16:19:34 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? John Stevenson 2001-03-19 16:38:49 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace?