CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rhino vs Truespace?

on 2001-03-19 16:38:49 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@e..., imserv@v... wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "John Stevenson" <machines@n...>
wrote:
> > Have you had a look at the Solid Edge Origin CD available for
free
> > from http://www.solid-edge.com
> > This can save a single model in IGES, STP,STL,EMS and Parasolid
> files.
>
> I have looked at it, but was unhappy that the web site is so
> misleading about what the program can do, especially with respect
> saving files. I did not get the impression previously that even
the
> $495 version had the capability to save other than 2D files. I
also
> did not get the impression that it could handle Nurbs curves and
> associated surfaces, animation and photorealistic rendering, let
> alone Vrml capability.
>
> Anybody done a comparison between all three, or know of one?
>
> Can Origin handle draping of r2v across a surface, as was recently
> discussed with Rhino? How about Truespace?
>
> Best Regards,

Fred and list.

A lot of sites are misleading, probably as they are written by people
who don't use the programs.
Anyway this is what I can vouch for with Origin.
The free version will save a model in stl format. I'm not sure about
iges as I have V9 on my machine at present. It will also save a 2D
drawing, and export as a dxf. It will print out with no banners or
other things to spoil a print unlike some educational programs. It
will print out the model and also export as a graphics file.
It will photo realistic render the model.
Things it WON'T do:-
You cannot assemble two or more models.
Once you create a 3D view in draft you can print it but not save it.
All the $495 version will let you do is to save the 3D draft image.
To asemble you need the full version.
Provided you don't want to save a 3D draft image they are giving away
a very powerful program here. Someone at Unigraphics here in the UK
mentioned that it was a $1000 program going for free. I get the
impression that they are trying to break Solid Works grip on the
market and the free Origin and the 49 UKP full V9 package is one way
to do this.
The Origin CD has a very good on line tutorial covering models,
draft, assembly [ although it can't do it ] and sheet metal. In fact
it's the full version tutorials. Even I can understand them <BG>

Sorry Fred I cannot answer your questions here about Nurbs and
draping r2v across a surface as I don't understand these things and
therfore am not qualified to comment on them.
I looked up Raster, Vector and NURBS in the help but came up blank.

Discussion Thread

imserv@v... 2001-03-19 14:27:00 UTC Rhino vs Truespace? John Stevenson 2001-03-19 15:01:30 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? John Stevenson 2001-03-19 15:05:28 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? imserv@v... 2001-03-19 15:30:39 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? rab@r... 2001-03-19 16:19:34 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace? John Stevenson 2001-03-19 16:38:49 UTC Re: Rhino vs Truespace?