CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Varkon

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 1999-08-29 12:32:51 UTC
Hi,

I had a look at Varkon and decided that it was way over my head! I
played around with it for a few hours but never did manage to figure out
how to draw even simple things. I am also considering FreeDraft which
looks as though it might be reasonable but, unfortunately, you seem to
have to install several other programs first (including a complete
graphics package) and, so far, I haven't even mastered this
successfully. One of the best contenders seems to be Varicad which looks
quite comprehensive but is a commercial product and so has to be paid
for - I'm not sure that, at the moment and in the absence of a linux
based CAM translation program, I can justify such expense. There is
another CAD package whose name I can't remember at the moment but which
claims to be a linux replacement for Autocad. This one costs $99. If you
go to http://home.freeuk.net/shef.lug and do a search for CAD on the
search window at the bottom of the page, you will find it listed.
Another program you might like to look at is POV-Ray which is really a
ray-tracing rendering program but which can produce some useful drawings
for visualisation which can be changed very easily to let you see 'what
if' scenarios.

Ian

--
Best wishes

Ian

--

Ian W. Wright LBHI
Sheffield Branch Chairman of the British Horological Institute.

'Music is the filling of regular time intervals with harmonious
oscillations.'

Discussion Thread

Dan Falck 1999-08-29 06:57:37 UTC Varkon Ian W. Wright 1999-08-29 12:32:51 UTC Re: Varkon Matt Shaver 1999-08-29 13:10:01 UTC Re: Varkon Dan Falck 1999-08-29 17:49:51 UTC Re: Varkon Carles Perello 1999-08-30 02:58:16 UTC Re: Varkon john@x... 1999-08-31 14:31:37 UTC Varkon