CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: MaxNC Controller Question

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2001-04-23 09:05:26 UTC
Scott,

Sorry to have to say this, but the stock MaxNC drives are not known
for their speed (unipolar l/r type, with big HOT resistors)

No amount of fiddling with the S/W program will make up for a lack in
the drivers! As a start, check what voltage the drives are running
at. Probably 12V. If you can increase this to 24 or 36 volts, you
will get more speed ,BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO change some parts on the
drive also. Exactly which parts will depend on what drive you have,
and I can't comment more without knowing details. At a minimum, you
will need to replace the "dropping" resistors (the big hot ones!).

There are other drives available inexpensively, and you may want to
investigate these. Taig sells the super-tech drives with their cnc
mills...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Scott Bennett <tcs_ahp@y...> wrote:
> Hope somebody can help, as MaxNC support has been
> useless so far.
>
> I have the 145oz-in MaxNC controller currently
> connected to a Taig mill. I am using a 400MHz PII, and
> everything is plugged into a 20amp grounded outlet. I
> have fiddled for a week with both the timeset.exe and
> pr.exe programs. However, under any combination of
> parameters, I cannot get the motors (Pac Sci) to turn
> more than about 120rpm. This translates to a whopping
> 6 inches/minute. I have tried increasing and
> decreasing the jump start speed, as well as the
> acceleration factor. I have tried a different
> computer. No matter what I do, if I set the max speed
> parameter below ~20000, the steppers stall. It doesn't
> matter if the motors are connected to the leadscrews
> or not, or if they are loaded or unloaded.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem?
>
> I am about 24 hours from chucking the thing in the
> wastebasket and buying something else, which is what I
> probably should have done from the start.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Discussion Thread

Scott Bennett 2001-04-23 08:43:38 UTC MaxNC Controller Question Joe Vicars 2001-04-23 08:56:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MaxNC Controller Question ballendo@y... 2001-04-23 09:05:26 UTC Re: MaxNC Controller Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-04-23 11:20:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MaxNC Controller Question tcs_ahp@y... 2001-04-23 11:49:47 UTC Re: MaxNC Controller Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-04-23 12:36:22 UTC Re: MaxNC Controller Question Gail & Bryan Harries 2001-04-23 13:46:28 UTC RE: MaxNC Controller Question