CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Turbocharging a bigger MaxNC

Posted by John
on 2001-05-10 07:38:03 UTC
Robin,
thanks for your comments.

Most if not all of my work is in HDPE or PP, so i only use HSS, and keep
them very very sharp. My understanding (please correct me if i am wrong)
was that given the low speed of my current 150mm (6") per min and
running around 350 rpm on a 2 flute 6mm (~1/4") ball mill cutter, with a
roughing depth of cut of 2.5mm (~0.1") not much could be improved.
assuming that i go for a much faster machine of 2m (80") per minute,
what cutter would u recommend? A friend has introduced some potential
for regular work, involving organic surface modelling and then machining
a prototype with approx. size 700mm x 200 x 100 ( 28" x 8 x 4) in
aluminum. Apparently have freedom to pick the grade, as long as i can
give them a good finish. They will not accept machining marks, and will
allow hand polish. Any recommendations folks?

On the ATC, even though am involved in CAD/CAM sales at work, have never
really studied the mechanical workings of a tool changer. Lazy me! Any
good websites for ideas?

Why i need one is that often i go away overnight on business and my wife
who does cnc hygiene duties ( vac's the plastic swarf) is not up to tool
changes level yet. If she gets that certification, will probably have to
do another night of baby-sitting duty per week!

Jokes aside, the job (roughing usually z-level, parallel plane finishing
and cross or optimized finishing) is normally sitting there when i get
back. Another part of my logic it that most of my work is surface
modelling not solids, which tends to keep me in the office at night
doing the homers. Actually looking at some notes i kept on recent
projects, gives a ratio of modelling to machining time of just over
1:3.5, and i also must do my day job, hopefully not for much longer.

John

Message: 5