CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS

on 2001-05-12 15:13:35 UTC
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the comments. You're right. I wasn't thinking of Japan's
machines in "Asian Imports". I have seen the Sakai lathe, and I was
impressed with it. I'd like to see more Japanese mills/lathes. I
think Japan has proven it can make quality machines, cars, electronics,
etc.

Am I seeing a trend of good machines no longer being imported (meaning
EMCO and Sakai, so far)?

I see ENCO, RongFu, Jet and Grizzly all making mills that all look the
same (pictures in catalogs), are there differences in these machines? I
haven't seen them up close. I saw a Jet lathe several years ago, and
just wasn't sold on it (it didn't look like a "South Bend").

I got to run a brand new Smithy 3 in 1 a couple of years ago, and I
can't put my finger on it, but it didn't do a "great" job got the job
done, I would have thought it would have came out better/faster. It
just wasn't cutting/drilling that good I'm not an experienced
machinist, so I don't know WHY. I'd like to UNDERSTAND the limitations
of mills/lathes, otherwise they ALL look pretty nice to me in the
catalogs!

All this INPUT is a great help! This is one "non-expert" who is gaining
from the list!

Alan KM6VV

ptengin@... wrote:

> In a message dated 5/12/01 9:19:54 AM Hawaiian Standard Time,
> prototype@... writes:
>
> << I'm talking worst case when I enumerate the problems with Asian machines.
> Some Asian stuff is totally without these problems. Stick with models that
> have a good reputation and you should be happy with Asian mills and lathes.
> >>

> Group,
>
> Lots of people forget that Japan is in Asia too. Machines such as Mazak,
> Okuma, Shizuoka, Mori Seiki, Citizen, Star etc, all come from Japan or
> originate from Japanese design. I believe if one could buy one of these asian
> imports for a hobby machine, he'd be darn happy. Jet used to bring in
> machines from Japan many many years ago. Drill presses, a few mills and
> lathes, a power hack saw etc. Then roughly 20 years ago, Taiwan started
> exporting lots of low cost low quality machines. Jet, among many others, was
> forced to switch over to Taiwan machines as the cost difference was too
> great. As you folks know, much of the stuff back then was totally junk.
> Everything fell apart because the screws were made of extremely soft
> material. Fit and finish was poor, Bondo was used for structural repairs etc.
> In the last few years though, I think the higher end iron from Taiwan is
> becoming close to if not meeting world class standards.
>
> The lower end hobby stuff is where the last of the machines with spotty
> quality can be found. I think Doug hit it on the head, try to stick with
> brand name stuff. I bought a Rong Fu-45 and have been very happy with what I
> have seen so far. The casting are of very high quality. They have machined
> with no blow holes ar hard spots like the older machines. The control
> switches etc are a couple of notches down from Cutler Hammer or Square D but
> they are CSA and UL listed. I am replacing the screws with ball screws so I
> can't comment on lead screw accuracy. The motor is a 1 Hp 3 phase, I have
> not cut anything with it yet so I can't judge power or how noisy it is.
> Overall, fit and finish have really improved. Some of the fasteners still
> must be upgraded. Yet, dollar for dollar, it would be tough to get a better
> deal.
>
> BTW Sakai of Japan had some very nice machines for sale here in the USA,
> a lathe and a mill. Due to the death of the owner of Sakai, they decided to
> quit exporting to America. Really too bad as the mill looked like a neat
> starting point for a CNC converison. This is about the only hobby class
> machine I know of that are still made in Japan.
>
> Peter
> THRD, Inc.

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-12 11:38:50 UTC Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Doug Harrison 2001-05-12 12:18:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS stratton@m... 2001-05-12 13:03:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS ptengin@a... 2001-05-12 13:05:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS machines@n... 2001-05-12 14:13:43 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-12 14:33:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-12 15:13:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-12 15:21:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-12 15:29:54 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS ron ginger 2001-05-13 18:01:52 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS cadman@p... 2001-05-14 08:52:50 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-14 10:34:17 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-14 12:16:35 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS cadman@p... 2001-05-14 13:01:12 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Ian Wright 2001-05-14 15:17:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-14 17:00:36 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS ballendo@y... 2001-05-15 04:55:10 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS ballendo@y... 2001-05-15 05:26:49 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS cadman@p... 2001-05-15 07:26:06 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS cadman@p... 2001-05-15 07:41:20 UTC Gib tightening.. was Asian Import mills, Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-15 11:20:11 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-05-15 11:34:33 UTC Re: Asian Import mills, EMCO, PRAZI, Myford, MOTORS