CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Virus Alert

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2001-05-15 01:04:40 UTC
Smoke -

Viruses are certainly a threat, but I'm afraid a good number of the
"viruses" you list are identified on the Symantec (Norton Antivirus)
website as hoaxes. Some rather more sound advice on viruses & protection
against them is listed below. I'm sure that this is not a comprehensive
list (but necessary if not sufficient!), so if you have access to an IT
professional at work, talk to them as well:

1) Treat any Emails warning you of viruses with circumspection. Check the
information they contain against the databases of the reputable antivirus
companies - for example, Symantec, Macafee, etc... There is a search
engine for that purpose on the Symantec site:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html

2) Get yourself a reputable antivirus package, install it on your PC(s),
and KEEP ITS DEFINITIONS UP TO DATE. Preferably, choose a package that
will automatically scan Email attachments as they are received by your
Email client.

3) ON NO ACCOUNT execute any files attached to Emails (or downloaded from
the Internet) unless you are sure of the credentials of the sender of the
file, AND YOU HAVE SCANNED THEM WITH YOUR VIRUS CHECKER. If you are still
at all suspicious, check the file name on one of the antivirus
databases. Executable files include .exe, .doc, .xls, .pif, .... and many
more. Recognizing whether or not a file is executable is complicated by
the fact that the file extension may not be visible in your Email browser,
particularly if the file has been named "filename.xxx.yyy", i.e., appears
to have 2 extension names. If in any doubt, DON'T EXECUTE THE FILE.

4) If you use Outlook/Outlook Express, make sure that you have the latest
security patches/updates installed (go to the Microsoft website & check).

5) If your Email client allows you to automatically execute attachments
(e.g., automatically activating Word if the attachment is a .doc file),
DISABLE THIS OPTION.

6) If your Email client software supports the ability to prevent embedded
HTML in messages from being executed, enable that option (i.e., switch off
execution of embedded HTML). While generally less important than some of
the others, this disables the creeping tendency in some SPAM messages to
include links to websites, causing your Email system to re-establish a
connection just so that you can be linked to some porno website etc...

7) DON'T spread messages of hoax viruses to your friends; this simply
increases the general level of mis-information about the whole area, and
plays into the hands of the hoaxers. Rather, when you receive a warning
that you find to be a hoax (by applying step 1 above), push back on the
source of the message and enlighten the sender as to the nature of their
confusion. Suggest to them that they do likewise in future.

Regards,
Tony

At 07:09 15/05/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>This is off topic but I belive it's important enouogh to warrant
>postiing at all my egroups sites. Hope you will all pass along the
>information:
>
>Virus with no cure.
>Please send this information to every person in your address book.
> If you receive an e-mail that reads "Upgrade Internet" do not open
>it,as it contains
>an executable file named "perrin.exe" it will erase all the data in
>your hard drive and
>it will stay in your memory.
>Every time you upload any data, that data will be automatically
>erased and you will
>not be able to use your computer again. This information was
>published yesterday
>in the CNN website.
>This is a very dangerous virus!!!!!
>To this date there is no known anti virus program for this particular
>virus.
>Forward this info to your friends so they will be on the alert.
>Also check the list below,sent by IBM,that SHOULD NOT be opened.
>Delete them unopened because they contain attached viruses.
>If you receive an E-mail titled "WIN A HOLIDAY" DO NOT open it. It
>will erase everthing
>on your hard drive. This info was announced yesterday from MICROSOFT.
> Do Not Open these Titles-----
>1) buddylst.exe 2)calcul8r.exe 3)deathpr.exe 4)
>einstein.exe 5)happ.exe
>6)girls.exe 7)happy99.exe 8)japanese.exe 9)
>keypress.exe 10)kitty.exe
>11)monday.exe 12)teletubb.exe 13)The Phantom Menace 14)
>prettypark.exe
>15)UP-GRADE INTERNET 16)perrin.exe 17)I love you 18)Snow
>White and the
>Seven Dwarfs 19)CELCOM Screen Saver or CELSAVER.EX 20)Win a
>Holiday (e-mail) 21)JOIN THE CREW O PENPALS Subject:Virus
> There is a virus being sent to people via E-mail. It is
>considered the A.I.D.S.Virus of computers. It will come via an E-
>mail called"(OPEN VERY COOL!:)" Delete It or it will render your
>computer useless!!!!!
> This info from NEIL FERRICK, Compaq Computer Corporation.

Discussion Thread

Gordon Robertson 2001-05-14 21:58:11 UTC Virus Alert Matt Shaver 2001-05-14 22:34:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Virus Alert Tony Jeffree 2001-05-15 01:04:40 UTC Re: Virus Alert