CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2001-05-16 22:05:06 UTC
Marcus & Eva wrote:

> Have you considered having the bed reground?
> Seems to me that this would be the best, and maybe even the cheapest
> solution.

I spent a lot of time looking for someone to do this. Perhaps it can be
done cheaper in the midwest to east coast areas. But I had quotes
ranging from "about" $450 all the way to $1400 JUST to grind the bed.
Realigning the head and tailstock doesn't strike me as the most
difficult task around, but resetting the saddle and squaring the cross
slide is a bit of work and will cost bucks to have done right.
These prices are California from the SF bay area to the LA area.
The cheapest was in Fremont, some old timer that had a suitable bed
grinder in his garage, and the best I could get him to commit to was
something that sounded like $450, and no firm committment to a
completion date (as in, it'll be finished whenever it's finished...)

Assembling something like the setup I'm putting together is going to
require patience or $$. I'll probably be into it for maybe $1800 total
by the time I'm done and that's including Ahha Pro, stepper motors, and
drivers. Has taken over a year to collect the bits.

Best bet is to buy a lathe that has a good bed. And I know first hand
this can be easier said than done. I bought a 10" South Bend thinking
I'd found a real sweet little machine. Gave it a quick once-over, and
didn't find the severe bed wear until a week after getting it home...

Doug Fortune 2001-05-15 17:24:30 UTC My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation jmw@c... 2001-05-16 11:34:34 UTC Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation stratton@m... 2001-05-16 12:12:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation Jon Anderson 2001-05-16 13:15:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation Marcus & Eva 2001-05-16 19:25:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation Jon Anderson 2001-05-16 22:05:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation Sven Peter, TAD S.A. 2001-05-17 13:30:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My Logan Clunker & leadscrew compensation