CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Capacitance

on 2001-05-28 21:07:04 UTC
1 Farad charges to 1 volt in 1 second from 1 Amp of constant current.
You can figure out pretty much everything else from there.

Yes, you have to take into account internal resistance of the
capacitor and circuit resistance. You may have to take into account
circuit inductance depending on the amount of inductance and the
frequency involved.

It is further complicated by the internal inductance of aluminum
electrolytic capacitors. They are formed by laying the two plates
against each other with an electrolyte soaked paper, then winding that
around itself. Tantalums have a different construction that avoids
this but has its (it's?) own problems.

BTW, it is "amperage" not "ampage". Or are you just being funny like a
colleague of mine who always says "resistomer", "capacitator" and
"transistomalator"?

Steve Greenfield

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., <info.host@b...> wrote:
> Hello,

> Can someone tell me for formula to work out how much energy is
released in a
> capacitor's discharge in DC (An AC if it's the same). Am I right to
assume
> the ampage and voltage discharge would be dependant on inductance,
> resistance and impedance (in AC) of the wires after it? Is there way
> calculate the amps / voltage with a perfect zero load over the
terminals?

Discussion Thread

info.host@b... 2001-05-28 15:41:50 UTC Capacitance LtCdr ChonBey vestai-Qul 2001-05-28 21:07:04 UTC Re: Capacitance Kevin P. Martin 2001-05-29 08:00:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Capacitance