CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: of what use is the old controller for a Bridgeport CNC mill?

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 1999-09-17 08:40:14 UTC
> From: "Elliot Burke" <elliot@...>
>
> I have a mid 80's vintage Bridgeport CNC mill and am converting to to Dan
> Mauch's drivers.
> There are two large boxes of electronics on this thing, including power
> supplies, tapes drives, computer?, and so on. Is this stuff of any use?

I'll try to post some pictures of my current project soon, but I reused the
enclosures for my new electronics. If you do this you'll want to save the
spindle contactor assembly, the spindle motor overload unit, the main power
switch, the 24V power supply (if you have the pneumatic spindle speed
adjuster and brake), a bunch of the old terminal blocks, and perhaps one of
the big capacitors from the old power supply to use in building your new one.
Meanwhile, look at:

http://users.erols.com/mshaver/v2e3.htm

It's not exactly the same machine, but the principle is the same (power stuff
in the back, PC on the side, monitor arm on the old pendant pipe). If you're
interested, I have pre-made brackets to mount a monitor arm on the existing
pendant pipe for $50 + shipping.

> Is
> there someone that buys this stuff, or should it just go to the dump?
Seems
> a shame. I may recyle the connectors.

There was a place in NJ that I sold some stuff to years ago, I'll try to look
up the info.

> On a similar note, does anyone know where I can get a manual for this
thing?

I've got them, let me know what you need to know. It's a set of 4 books, most
of which will be obsoleted by your conversion, but there's one page of
schematics that pretty well sums up the system wiring.

Matt

Discussion Thread

Elliot Burke 1999-09-17 08:00:21 UTC of what use is the old controller for a Bridgeport CNC mill? Matt Shaver 1999-09-17 08:40:14 UTC Re: of what use is the old controller for a Bridgeport CNC mill?